Author Topic: ATC on PH meters  (Read 4303 times)

hoeklijn

ATC on PH meters
« on: August 12, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »
I spend almost the whole weekend reading about PH meters, here on this forum and on other websites. I think a lot of people here use the Extech PH100 or PH110, which is, as far as I could see, a PH meter that also acts as a thermometer, but has no ATC or Automatic Temperature Correction.
I wonder what is used in recipes, PH markers that are corrected for the temperature or not. Or: What will be the effect when somebody made a recipe according to his/hers readings with a ATC PH meter and I follow the recipe with a PH meter without ATC. Or the other way around of course....

Tomer1

Re: ATC on PH meters
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »
The extechs do have ATC.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
IMHO, unless the pH meter is accurate to within .01, temperature compensation is statistically insignificant in cheese making.

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:13:21 PM »
I go this hannah pH meter, which does ATC primarily because I had seen enough people complain about cheaper meters not working correctly.  I like this one so far (I've only made 2 cheeses with it, though), and particularly like that I can push the hard tip directly into the curd/cheese.  My only complaint about it is that it has a pretty slow temperature response.  I've tried to compensate for this by rinsing it at about the same temperature as the cheese/curd that I'm measuring.

If you don't mind me adding another question on pH meters to the thread, though, I'd like to know if people keep their pH meter in the milk/whey/curds throughout the entire make or if they only put the pH meter in when they want a measurement, and remove/store it in between measurements.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
@Tomer1: Funny that on the site where I was looking it was not mentioned for this model...
@Sailor: Ok, your answer and the experiences from other people with the PH100 have convinced me, I'm going to get me one...
@Mike: There are some Hannah's available here, but for me too expensive. And go ahead with your questions...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
@Tomer1: Funny that on the site where I was looking it was not mentioned for this model...
@Sailor: Ok, your answer and the experiences from other people with the PH100 have convinced me, I'm going to get me one...
@Mike: There are some Hannah's available here, but for me too expensive. And go ahead with your questions...
Herman, my ExStik PH100 works pretty well for me. I'm not sure if there is a huge difference between it and the PH110. The PH110 has a refillable tip. Important?...I don't know.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
Less costly than replace an electrode more often but its also more expenssive so I think in the end the expense evens out.

hoeklijn

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »
The PH110 has a refillable tip. Important?...I don't know.
-Boofer-

I have been searching for the PH110 today, but couldn't find it in The Netherlands. I think I'll go for the PH100 instead because (as Tomer said) refilling the electrode will result in a longer life of the electrode, but the refiller and electrodes are expensive.