Author Topic: DYI $100 Digital Cheese Vat / Sous Vide Machine! (Photos) - A full guide!  (Read 42592 times)

susanky

Mikeradio recommended a controller in another thread.  I think I will get one.  If you put water around the pan probably wouldn't scald the milk?  Just may not have as much control over temp.  I guess that means that whatever material this roaster is made of is fine for cheesemaking?  Do you know what it is?
Susan

iratherfly

Well, it's enamled so it should be fine. I just find that it doesn't fill the water right in the external well. If you put a little too much water to get it to protect it by going to the top when you insert the internal well - water may overflow on the electricals... quite annoying as a double boiler.

On the other hand, try it once and see how it works. Mix the milk repeatedly while warming it up to prevent the damage of scalding. (It will be partially scalded but the good thing is that it won't develop too much other bacteria because the heating will be so quick, so it will make your starter culture very efficient)

Mordarageek

Greetings!

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I found your instructions on Make, then the link to Abe's blog, and finally this thread. I thought I'd have a go at what promises to be a very useful piece of equipment, so I ordered the parts and managed to assemble everything according to the above instructions.

The device itself works fine. I placed a half-gallon of water in the basin and filled the liner with a couple gallons of water  to test. Initially, I used pass 0039 and setting pt10.0. The PID would raise the water temperature to the set amount (with a slight bit of overheating) and then cycle on and off to maintain that temperature. The problem is that even though the temp is holding at what the RTD says is 40C, when I tried to verify with a candy thermometer, the thermometer read 48C. I double-checked with a roasting thermometer and confirmed 48C. Next, I boiled a pot of water and inserted the RTD, and it only read 83C. So the probe reading is inaccurate and not in a linear manner.

At first, I though I had gotten the wrong probe from Lightobject (mine had a red wire and two blue wires). But reading further through the thread, I found ArnaudForestier's post referencing the same probe. After following the more detailed programming instructions in the response to Arnaud's post, I repeated my temperature tests and got the same results. I'm still learning about controllers and temperature sensors and can't do much more than follow instructions at this point. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Do I have a bad RTD? Do I have this wired wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:46:33 AM by Mordarageek »

iratherfly

Abe actually gave somewhere later a different more precise programming instructions where the accuracy is far higher and the response time if quicker. I am ashamed to say  I cannot find them (he actually came over and helped me in person here) but I am sure him (and Q) can help you if you contact them on their blog.

Mine is dead accurate now.  I do only use it for larger cheeses because the position of the heating element is too high to be effective with 1-2gal makes.

Tom Turophile

I can't believe I just found this thread (through some other googling for DIY sous vide).  This thing should be pinned!

linuxboy

You can sort by views to see the most popular threads.

iratherfly

If you think this is great, check out what this project ended up developing to!

I am happy to report that Lisa and Abe have since not only created a hit DYI Sous Vide kit, but also joined a technology startup accelerator that sent them to China, where they worked for 6 months on developing and designing an actual Sous Vide appliance for home. The gorgeous prototype is already working and they have put the project up on Kickstarter.  They asked for $200,000 public backing on the site within 30 days and after only 8 days they already have $150,000 pledge from almost 500 people!

People, this will solve your home cheese vat issues!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen?ref=category

Tom Turophile

If you think this is great, check out what this project ended up developing to!

I am happy to report that Lisa and Abe have since not only created a hit DYI Sous Vide kit, but also joined a technology startup accelerator that sent them to China, where they worked for 6 months on developing and designing an actual Sous Vide appliance for home. The gorgeous prototype is already working and they have put the project up on Kickstarter.  They asked for $200,000 public backing on the site within 30 days and after only 8 days they already have $150,000 pledge from almost 500 people!

People, this will solve your home cheese vat issues!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen?ref=category

That's how I stumbled on it; I had looked at DIY sous vide for a while, but saw a story on cnet on Nomiku...which eventually led me your post, and then (back) here.  I don't know how I missed it a year ago :)

iratherfly

Where was the story? I am so proud of them!

eVenom

Iiratherfly did you ever find the PID Programming or maybe have the an even newer one from your friend Abe?

I have been out of the cheese making hobby for a year and now am jumping back in. Before I was limited to 2 gallons and I want to start making closer to 5 - 6. I have ordered all the stuff to make this vat and am also exited about using it as a Sous Vide machine.

For around 130 bucks after u buy everything is a very sweet deal.

iratherfly

What do you mean? Do I know the programming sequence? Didn't I post it?

My friends Abe and Lisa, I am happy to say -have taken this to a whole new level. Rather than PID, wires, turkey roasters and programming, they did this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen

Just used the Sous Vide last week, amazing lamb chops. I have a crazy new butane torch too...  Keep this thread posted on your project!  Do you need the programming sequence for this PID?

eVenom

Abe actually gave somewhere later a different more precise programming instructions where the accuracy is far higher and the response time if quicker. I am ashamed to say  I cannot find them (he actually came over and helped me in person here) but I am sure him (and Q) can help you if you contact them on their blog.

Mine is dead accurate now.  I do only use it for larger cheeses because the position of the heating element is too high to be effective with 1-2gal makes.

I have the original programming that you posted but later in this thread I saw this post^^^^^ and was wondering if you had an even better programming.

I saw the Nomiku and is very impressive but I mainly want this as a cheese vat...