Author Topic: New Maker  (Read 905 times)

Moonshae

New Maker
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:47:19 PM »
Hi, I'm a new cheese maker in Helmetta, NJ. I brew beer and make mead, I'm a part-time beekeeper, and actively pursue photography. I've made mozzarella a few times, and have just gotten a press to experiment with some hard cheeses. I have a small fridge to use as a cheese cave, but from reading, it seems I'll have to install some sort of drip line to keep the humidity somewhat lower than the 100% it would be with a sealed fridge. As a brewer, I have a thermostat to rig up to the fridge to keep the temps better regulated than I could using the knob control inside the fridge. I'll be searching these forums for info about how to install a drip line.

Looking forward to this new experience!

Cheese Head

Re: New Maker
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:38:24 PM »
Welcome Moonshae/Beekeeper!

Just watched latest movie version of Robin Hood with Russell Crowe where Friar Tuck was a Beekeeper and mead maker, looks like fun!

On caves, see our Wiki: Cheese Cave Requirements & Wiki: Example Cheese Caves. My small fridge has aluminum freezer compartment that radiates cold and has excess humidity problem, I think member DeejayDebi also has a small fridge but no freezer or compressor, radiant back plate style that does not have excess humidity, maybe it has a drain line. Bigger forced air type fridges have probelm of minimal humidity as removed and evaporated via external drip pan.

I don't remember if anyone has yet installed a drip line, good thread here and here.

Have a great new adventure!

amblepath

Re: New Maker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:57:38 AM »
Hi Moonshae.
I'm just getting into the hard pressing too.  I also make beer and wine and I made mead once. (someone had 50lbs of honey that started to ferment)
I am also into photography and spend a fair bit of time at dpreview.
I am trying the vacuum sealing route on my cheese which makes humidity a moot issue, We'll see how it works out,
I find my feta is easily as good as store bought.  I have to wait a couple more months to try my gouda, montasio, and cheddar.