Author Topic: Ascorbic Acid  (Read 2840 times)

loafer

Ascorbic Acid
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:03:11 AM »
I have a cheap and easy local source for ascorbic acid (I use it for acidifying fruits before drying), but the citric acid I've found is much more expensive. I'm a chemist and I know the chemical side of things, but can anyone tell me a practical reason that I can't use ascorbic acid instead of citric acid in my cheese recipes when citric is called for?  I could chemically tell you the ratios of equivalency, but does anyone have practical experience on what the ratio would be?

-Loafer

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Acorbic Acid
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:57:13 AM »
Could be taste, where are you looking for citric acid, is only a couple of dollars? Just use lemon juice, citric acid. That's what the ancients used.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:53:12 PM »
Hi loafer and welcome to the forum, there is a bunch of info on Wikipedia about Ascorbic Acid, but sounds like as a Chemist you are in best positon to answer.

Personally I have never used it and there are very few recipes that call for Citric Acid. I made an info page on Acids but nothing on Ascorbic Acid.

Good luck.

jsbyers

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:47:19 PM »
I was at the wine and beer supply store this morning to get some stuff for a mead that I'm making. I picked up a bottle of acid blend used for wine and noticed it had 3 ingredients, citric acid, tartaric acid, and malic acid.  Wonder about using some of that in a cheese recipe. 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »
You were already there why not just buy some citric acid? It probably won't hurt, I have the exact proportions of those 3 ingridients if you need them.