Author Topic: Tomme Cheese Making Recipe, linuxboy's - Clarification Questions  (Read 3789 times)

Jessica_H

Making a Tomme is my next project.  I spent about 2 hours last night reading and making notes and now none of them are in front of me  ::) But I think I remember my questions.

The recipe:
  • Warm 2 gallons milk (17.2 pounds) to 88 degrees F
  • add 1/4 tsp MA4000
Somewhere it was noted if you use "really fresh milk" you don't need a starter?  My milk was collected Sunday AM but now it's sitting at almost freezing temps.  I'll probably make the Tomme on Wednesday and the milk will stay around 33 until then.  Do I need a starter?  All I have is the Mesophilic from cheesemaking.com that's comprised of: s.lactis, s. cremoris, malto dextrin.  (I do also have their Thermophilic culture too.)
  • Ripen for 30 mins at 88 F. pH should decrease slightly (.02+)
  • If needed, add CaCl2 diluted in cold water
I shouldn't need this if I'm using fresh raw cows milk right?
  • Add .8 ml double strength rennet dissolved in 1/4 cup distilled water, stir up and down 15 strokes (4-5 ml double strength per 100 lbs milk, convert according to your rennet activity)
I'm still not always sure on how the rennet should work.  I have the tabs.  Normally I do half a tab disolved in 1/4 cup of cool water for 2 gallons of milk.  Does that sound about right?

I'm still not sure on the rind.  I love the idea of a beer wash or rub.  But since my Colby done with wine is going south I'm a little nervous about that.

Thanks in advance!

linuxboy

Re: Tomme Cheese Making Recipe, linuxboy's - Clarification Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »
Somewhere it was noted if you use "really fresh milk" you don't need a starter?
That's not exactly what we discussed. We discussed that it is possible to make tommes without a starter, but for most people, it is far more practical to use DVI culture or a whey starter or clabber. Yes, it is possible but unless you know what you are doing and have experience, it tends to lead to issues.

You can use the starter you have, but that meso blend tends to result in slower than expected acidification.

I shouldn't need this if I'm using fresh raw cows milk right?
Up to you. CaCl2 helps to make a stronger curd. If your curd is strong, no, don't need it.

Normally I do half a tab disolved in 1/4 cup of cool water for 2 gallons of milk.  Does that sound about right?

Yes, about right.

I'm still not sure on the rind.  I love the idea of a beer wash or rub.

Please do NOT do this for your first cheeses. Beer rinds are VERY hard to get right. If you want a natural rind, let it dry out and rub with paprika/oil mix. This will give you mold protection and a pretty rind, and a little flavor. Or vac pac.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »
I have to agree with LB. Don't add too many variables at this stage of your cheese making. We all do this because of our love of cheese and the whole process at the beginning. After you have mastered the whole process of making one particular type of cheese to your satisfaction then you can proceed to make it your own by playing around with the make.

Jessica_H

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
Please do NOT do this for your first cheeses. Beer rinds are VERY hard to get right. If you want a natural rind, let it dry out and rub with paprika/oil mix. This will give you mold protection and a pretty rind, and a little flavor. Or vac pac.

Heard and done :D

I think I'll do the oil and I read you can do cyanne?  I do love spice so that sounds fun. My other three I've made so far are supposed to be waxed soon per directions. It will be fun to do a natural rind.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
Sure, cayenne, curry, any type of dry, peppery spice.

Jessica_H

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
One last question.  I made this cheese last night (finished at midnight thirty...mental note, it takes longer than you think Jessica, longer than you think).

I was going to brine it at noon today.  I don't have a PH meter but I was hoping that would be enough time to sit.

In the instructions it states:
Brine in fully saturated brine 3-4 hours per lb of cheese.

I have a 2 lb cheese ... so I brine for 6-8 hours? 

I ask because that seems like a really long time.  I thought the general rule of thumb was 1-2 hours per pound...

Thanks!

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
what size? thin 2.5" wheel that's in a tomme mold? 6-8" diameter? That's about a 3 hour brine, if so. Maybe a tad more.

Jessica_H

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »
4.5" in diameter and probably about 4" high.

It's in a "basic hard cheese" mold.  I had one heck of a time getting the curd in it at first!  The mold is 5" high but the cheese has nestled into the mold nicely.

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
That's more like doing a 4-hour brine, then, in saturated brine.

Jessica_H

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »
Thanks so much!