Author Topic: Will more cream take longer?  (Read 3851 times)

Jessica_H

Will more cream take longer?
« on: January 11, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
Perhaps a silly question.

I did about a quart of butter in my kitchen aid with the whisk attachment at about 6 speed. It took about 40 min but I got great butter. Feeling empowered at 8 last night I tried 5 quarts.

With the 1 quart I let it sit at room temp for 3 hours.

Last night I let the 5 quarts sit an hour and then warned it with a warn water bath to 68-70 degrees because I was running late on time. I started the kitchen aid and 1.5 hours I still had whipped cream.

I really thought I would take the same time because the kitchen aid shouldnt be as affected by volume?

So at 10:45pm I pulled my liquid (some foam but a lot of liquid) and put it back in the fridge. I was thinking I'd try again tomorrow? Maybe set the half-whipped cream out for the day and whip again?

Thoughts? Or should I dump my current half whipped cream? (*sniff*)

dthelmers

Re: Will more cream take longer?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
I had the same thing happen with a 2 quart batch. I put it in the fridge and tried it again the next day, still cold. It broke within minutes and made a good butter. Maybe try a smaller amount in the bowl and churn it in a couple of batches. I think I'll try the food processor next time; I've heard the blade does a good job churning. Otherwise I may look into a real butter churn.
Dave in CT

Jessica_H

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
I put it in the fridge and tried it again the next day, still cold.

Interesting.

Maybe I'll try letting it warm to room temp again for 2-3 hours tomorrow night and try again.

I'm quite frustrated as I though I had this process down so I got 6 gallons of milk to skim for butter!  It'll be a lot of lost cream if I can't make it work  :P

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:17:37 AM »
I never got anything but slightly foamy cream using my Kitchenaid.

If you don't have a food processor, you can put the cream in a jar and shake it until it turns.  Just don't fill the jar any more than 1/2 full, as it needs the "slosh" space to turn.

Jessica_H

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 05:06:46 AM »
I figured it out!!

I had way WAY too much milk in the cream.  I'm so excited it turned to butter tonight  ;D

What happened...I have a 6 gallon carboy filled with raw milk.  I tried to siphon off just the cream from the top.  But I must have lowered the tube in too low.  Just "in case" I filled a glass with the "cream" and put it in the fridge and then churned the rest.  Then there was the failure and frustration last night.  This AM I looked at my glass of "cream" and saw it was almost HALF milk!  Grrrr!!  I'm a bad siphoner it seems.

So I pulled the cream off the top of what I whipped last night and 30 min later had butter.

The Kitchen Aid is way slower than what I'm reading many people get here...but it works for me!

KosherBaker

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 05:16:05 AM »
The Kitchen Aid is way slower than what I'm reading many people get here...but it works for me!
I also find that cream whips up much faster when it is chilled. Egg whites, are the ones that whip up better at room temp. I never let my whipping cream "warm up" or sit at room temp before whipping.

HarryB

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
No reason for the amount of cream to take longer other than the capacity of the Kitchen Aid, which should handle almost the full bowl if you are brave enough.
I have found that if the cultured cream is cool it will churn in a very short time. On my Kitchen aid we are talking about 4 minutes. Cool is about 15 °C

Henry

dthelmers

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »
Since I last posted I got 5 quarts of cream from my milk man that had hits its sell-by date. I cultured it all into sour cream, reserved a quart to use as such, and turned the rest into butter in my very inexpensive food processor with the steel blade. worked great! Worked better if it was no more than half full. Used it to wash the butter, too, adding fresh water and pulsing a few times.
Dave in CT