Author Topic: Butter Making - Kitchenaid vs Food Processor  (Read 14147 times)

judyp

Butter with Goat's milk?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »
Can I make butter with raw goat's milk?  Judy

smilingcalico

Re: Butter Making - Kitchenaid vs Food Processor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
Judy, in a manner of speaking, yes, but to be precice,you have to separate out the cream which is what you'll use to make the butter.

tnsven

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 01:37:19 AM »
Actually, it is traditional to make butter with WHOLE goats milk that has been fermented (soured) and is warm. I've got an older National Geographic that talks about this being done by some folks in the Himalayas. Unfortunately, most people don't care for the flavor of this sort of butter. But it is possible!

Kristin

smilingcalico

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 03:35:32 AM »
Traditional, it's all relative.  We don't have that tradition in America.

Buck47

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »
Hi All,

I've been following this thread and a couple others on butter making. I did a modified version of what has been posted with great results.

9:30 PM - Saturday evening stir in 100ml store bought buttermilk into 6 qt Raw Cream skimmed before making two Tomme. Let sit out overnight at room temp. ( 65F )

10:00 Am Sunday morning - moved cream to a cool location - Temp 36F

Monday left in cold area - Temp 36F

12:30 PM - Tuesday placed pot containing cultured cream in sink water bath raised milk temp to 68F

Placed 1/3 milk in KitchenAid mixer / splash guard  & mixed on Speed 4 (aprox 3-4 min) then speed 8 (aprox 2 min) until butter separated. Whisk attachment.

Drained butter and Buttermilk in a cloth lined colander set in a bowl to catch buttermilk. Same Process for two more batches.

Placed Ice cubes in a mason jar filled with cold tap water. Placed butter back into KitchenAid mixing bowl. Replaced Whisk attachment with standard mixer attachment.

Start mixer at low speed -- add in aprox 2/3 cup Iced Water.

Repeated until water ran clear ( four times draining and adding fresh Iced Water)

Mixed in 1 tsp flake salt.

Butter by this time has become firm and needs to be pressed into containers with rubber spatula.

Yields: from 6 qt cream

2 pounds butter
 3 qt. Buttermilk

Using the standard mixer attachment and Iced Water eliminated the need to do a lot of hand work finishing off the butter.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I learned form your post. and now have a simple method for making cultured butter or Sweet butter.

Regards: john

Addendum:   I've found that although the above method is very efficient at washing butter fat from freshly make butter, it does leave a certain amount of water droplets mixed in with the butter itself. I would welcome comments from others as to what method can be used to press out these residual droplets of water.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:44:16 PM by Buck47 »