Author Topic: Fridge/Freezer Cave - Using Both Fridge & Freezer?  (Read 1489 times)

headcheese

Fridge/Freezer Cave - Using Both Fridge & Freezer?
« on: January 12, 2011, 05:10:44 AM »
Hi ,I'm new at this and this is my first post.

Is there a way to use an old refrigerator and the freezer on top as two caves each with their own temps?

KosherBaker

Re: Fridge/Freezer Cave - Using Both Fridge & Freezer?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:01:51 AM »
Unlikely, as the freezer section is just too cold.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:29:10 PM »
It's a good question which I haven't seen asked about here, most thermostats on kitchen type combination fridge freezers do not allow the fidge section to go warm enough for cheese cave temps and thus most people buy an external thermostat to partially override the internal one.

But it's only partially, so you could still use the internal thermostat to adjust the ratio of cooling between the fridge and freezer, let us know if you try!

PS: Our 6 year old kitchen side-by-side fridge has two thermostat dials, so that style could be more adjustable than more normal, single thermostat and louvered air flow from freezer to fridge.

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
Home Brewers use an upright freezer to make a kegerator. You can buy a thing that goes on the plug that controls the freezer motor and keeps the temperature. Some beers ferment at different temperatures so you can change the temperature with that. However since the refrigerator and freezer run off the same plug it wouldn't work in this instance.

rowin

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
I have been doing some thinking about making a cheese cave as well and was thinking of using the same setup my buddy has for his beer making. its a small dorm fridge door is taken off of it. then he has box made out of 2 by 4's it is covered in insulation board. on the one end is the fridge... so now it just makes it a bigger "fridge" there is a small space heater inside of this and then its all wired up to a external thermostat. he said that he can either get some pretty low temps of some pretty high temps.

i can get all the info for the plans if anyone would like them.