Author Topic: Bad mold?  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Bad mold?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:34 AM »
By the way, I don't think you are a newbie anymore. You have been at it for a while, haven't you?
Two years, but I'm still learning. Better confidence now than January 2009 though. The rind concept and other techniques are sinking in a bit easier. The three cheeses I have that are developing their rinds actually seem under control. The cave is keeping them on an even keel.

Your English is just fine. I have no problem with it at all. You're right though, that was pretty early.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Dgarner23

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »
Thankyou so much for your help iratherfly. My cheese looks like it's gonna make it. It is getting a proper rind with a little "good" mould starting. I'll post new pic in a couple of days

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
Dgarner, you didn't do anything exactly wrong, rather it is that my recipe is one that works for me, but I adjust it based on the situation. I do as irather said, and will dry out the rind enough before moving to the cave. Usually that takes a day, sometimes more. It's easier once you have a few batches done.

I also inoculate both milk and a light brine and manage the rinds very carefully to make sure I get the growth I want. Sometimes, I get unwanted molds from the ambient environment. It's a rather delicate balance, but you have good guidance here from iratherfly.

I strongly suggest for people just starting to use packaged mold and yeast cultures. They are pure and repeatable and consistent. It is very difficult to ensure good hygiene when using a piece of pureed rind as the start, and when you do, you have to adjust quickly and anticipate the itneractions of all the molds to craft the rind you want. Definitely not easy for a beginner.

Dgarner23

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
Hey thanks Linuxboy.  Between the two of you I think I've learned a lot and may even end up with a pretty good cheese outta this.  Watching it close and keeping my fingers crossed. 

I am gonna buy some cultures/molds to do it correctly.  I think next Im gonna try a French Neufchatel.   I'm gonna follow 200 easy cheese procedures unless anyone has better suggestion.  It looks a little easier than a Brie.

iratherfly

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
Glad things are working out!  200 recipes is a good book. Neufchatel is kind of unexciting (excitment level of Fromage Blanc, Quark or Yogurt in my opinion...)  If you have done a Tomme already, you can definitely try Colby/Jack which are simplified cheddars, or Cheddar or Cantal or Gouda or another style Tomme - so that you keep on perfecting your semi soft cheeses.  If you ar elooking for something young without much maturation but still aged and moldy with deep character and quality, try Crottin or Chaource.  They only take 14 days. If you are more patient, you may want to try Camembert or Brie.  In any event, I suggest that whatever cheese you choose, go to the store first and get a piece of it. Bring it home, look at it. Examine the texture, moisture, how does it tear up when you fold a slice, the rind thickness, texture and colors, the smell etc. Just so that you have a good reference point. Then of course eat it!

Waiting to see your Tomme photos!

Dgarner23

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
French Neufchatel is kind of unexciting ?  I was planning on innoculating and aging for a couple weeks.  I thought it was very similar to Chaource from everything I read on internet.  They said it was nothing like American Neufchatel.  I will definitely re-evaluate.

iratherfly

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »
Sorry it took me so long to write back. Also please accept my apologies, wasn't nice of me to suggest that the French Neufchatel isn't exciting.  That is because I read quickly and missed out the key word "French".  Ahhhh... the one with a rind and shaped like a heart?  It CAN be exciting (unlike the American style which has no rind and it's just a cream cheese made of milk instead of cream).  The rinded/aged version is pretty much the same as chaource.

Did you end up making it?  The semi lactic process on cow's milk pretty much gives everything the feeling of rich cream. Adding a Camembert style rind to it is a nice finish.