Author Topic: Forum IT Question - Uploading Pictures?  (Read 3088 times)

sawhett

Forum IT Question - Uploading Pictures?
« on: January 13, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
No wonder I"m having so much trouble learning how to make cheese. I can't even figure out how to download my pics. lol .......Someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Bill

morfeo

Re: Forum IT Question - Uploading Pictures?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
If your are trying to upload some pictures on a post all you need to do is find a website that can host you pictures (I'm using http://photobucket.com/)
Them once you have your picture on that website all you have to do is copy the URL, an them on the post just press on the little picture icon and you are going to get something like this () just paste the URL on the middle (.
I hope this is what you are looking for.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:54 AM »
sawhett/Bill, there is an IT How To in the FAQ Board that explains how to do that. As it says the best way is to upload your pictures from your computer to this forum that way they are there for good. Linking to pictures on another site also works until the link becomes broken and then the picture is lost and the thread is left with a hole and no picture and the meaning of the thread is reduced for others. This forum is littered with those holes already.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:55:33 AM »
There's "download" and there's "upload". Download normally implies that you are bringing pictures, music, etc. down to your computer or handheld device. Upload typically means that you are transferring similar files up to a server on the internet somewhere.

What I do when I post a reply or initiate a topic and I want to post a photo or a document of some type...look down at the bottom of the text box that you type your message into. There is something titled Additional Options.  Click on that. It will open up a text box titled "Attach:" with a Browse button off to the side. If you click on the Browse button, you can search on your computer for where you have stored your pics or docs. Make a selection and it will appear in that text box. If you have more than one, click on the "(more attachments)" below the text box and you'll get to do it again.

If you can, resize your pics to a more reasonable 1024x768 or 800x600. Those are typical computer screen resolutions. Not many folks have the screen resolutions that today's digital cameras offer (such as: 3200x2560).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

iratherfly

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:47:22 AM »
Oooh Boofer, I like your Tomme de Merlot. How many times did you dip it?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
Oooh Boofer, I like your Tomme de Merlot. How many times did you dip it?
Twice, with a pause to dry a bit in the cave each time. First time for a Tomme so I really don't know what to expect as far as paste texture & taste. Fingers crossed.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

dttorun

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
How about creating a new folder in the forum under `General Boards` to post our own cheese pictures for those who want to share?
Tan

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »
In general forum's by their nature are chaotic and threads spin off into all sorts of different topics like this one so any "Pictures Board" (with every type of cheese in it) would rapidly do the same. Most members post their pictures in the relevant Cheese Type Board, ie "XYZ's Second Camembert Making" some in a WorkLog format which I think works well and is useful for others.

If Members have perfected (OK there is no such point) a certain cheese making recipe, I would love for them to update the Wiki: Recipes or post an Article with directions and pictures on the website, that's why I spent all that time rebuilding the website.

Also, to make it easier for Members to find, once cold, I often rename threads to better reflect their contents and move them if required to more applicable board, whether it be a Cheese Type or Equipment or Method or Ingredient.

iratherfly

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »
I have some plans to hit that wiki with info, just not enough time yet...

I also think that you would increase the conversion and visits into the wiki by adding a link to it on the header of the board.

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 01:39:36 PM »
iratherfly, time time time, it's always in short supply!

Good idea except to add it to the forum menu at top would cause problems for those using other language "skins" for the forum software . . . so I've just moved the Links in the forum homepage to the top of each section to get more visibility, link to Wiki Articles is now at top of the Cheese Boards.

Cheers, John (CH).