Author Topic: PH Metering  (Read 2445 times)

kieralacy

PH Metering
« on: May 29, 2012, 07:00:13 PM »
Hello,
I was not sure where to post this question!
Does anyone us PH metering in their cheese making? I have a PH meter that we use in our aquaponics system that is water proof and is a bulbed meter. I have seen people using bulbed meters for testing their cheese but I am a little confused on how they do this with a Curd. With the meter that we have we would have to take the curd and put it in neutral water to break it up and then test the liquid. I am wondering if anyone else knows how to use a bulbed meter with curd testing without having to use the water?

linuxboy

Re: PH Metering
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:38:21 PM »
Take a spoonful of curd, stick the meter in it, done. You're never actually measuring the curd pH. It's always the immediate whey the curd releases. You can also standardize your makes according to whey pH.

kieralacy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »
I thought that you would measure the whey but then I saw a recipe that called for measuring the curd and I just didn't understand how that would be accurate. If a recipe calls for measuring the curd can you still just measure the whey and have it the say or would it be off just a little bit? I will probably just start measuring the whey only, the curd thing is weird to me! But then again I am still VERY new to this! lol
Thanks

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
can you still just measure the whey and have it the say or would it be off just a little bit?
Off. Curd is more acidic. Starts around 6.3 with a slight deviation, and by the time it gets to brining at 5.4, whey will be 0.10 - 0.15 higher. I wouldn't sweat the exact pH, focus on the tipping points at rennet add, whey drain, and brining.

kieralacy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
Okay then it isn't that much of a difference, that isn't so bad. I didn't want it to be off by a lot!  :P
Thank you for you help!