Author Topic: New online shop for budding cheesemakers  (Read 5074 times)

Jaap Jongia

New online shop for budding cheesemakers
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
Our new online shop, although not 100% finished, is open for business. http://www.cheesemakingshop.co.uk Contact me for a discount code.

zenith1

Re: New online shop for budding cheesemakers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
good luck Jaap

McCreamy

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
is there a website you can reccomend for showing the currency exchange? I'm from the US

fiddletree

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:20:19 PM »
great to see other European sites to buy from.  On the checkout page, I only saw the UK as a country to choose from in the shipping... do you ship to Italy?  And if so, approximately how much does it cost to ship small items?

Also, would it be possible to post more info about the culture?

OudeKaas

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »

IIRC, it is mostly fox hunters and soccer hooligans, with the occasional inbred aristocrat thrown in for comic relief . . .  ;)

Jaap Jongia

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
is there a website you can reccomend for showing the currency exchange? I'm from the US

I generally use Google. In the serach bar you write: xxx gbp in usd, click serach and you get the answer

Jaap Jongia

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
great to see other European sites to buy from.  On the checkout page, I only saw the UK as a country to choose from in the shipping... do you ship to Italy?  And if so, approximately how much does it cost to ship small items?

I want to set up also for abroad, but I have to figure out how I can do that. So many different items, so many different weights, so many different postal charges. I want to stay competitive and until I have found a formula it is only UK. For abroad you can still use my ebay shop.

The cheese culture is a generic mesofilic culture. Can be used for cheese making, culturing cream and the like.

Blue Monday

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
Hey guys, well as most of you will have seen (as I have posted about 10 posts today :D) I am new to the forum and finally around people like me, cheese lovers - it´s not my friends preffered choice in food you see, they find my obsession unhealthy and expensive and I am glad to say it is both, but at least it stops me spending it on booze!

Anyway, I just commented to someone about which cheesemaking book to buy - but what I desperately want to know is how much this set-up is going to cost me, I know it will be expensive but what I am wondering is what exactly do I need to make cheese, can anyone shed some light here?

Thanks,

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
It doesn't have to be expensive to start with. You can build up to the more expensive equipment if you decide to stay with process.

Essential equipment is a vat of some kind - I have a large stockpot that takes about 4 Imperial gallons of milk and will make about a 4lb hard cheese. You'll also need cheesecloth, moulds and followers, a milk thermometer, a press of some kind, storage arrangements (plastic boxes in fridges is a cheap way to start), Calc. Chlor., starter cultures, rennet and salt. A long handled skimmer, palette knife and spoon are also needed. Everything needs to be sterilisable - 1 tsp. domestic bleach to 1 gall. water; rinse well in previously boiled water.

Moulds can be made from anything - yoghurt and cream pots, small and large, with holes drilled into the bottom; flower pots; bread tins with holes drilled; plastic boxes with holes drilled; PVC food-grade drainage pipe, 6" and 4", cut into sections.

Presses can range from plastic containers of water, to simple presses (basically 2 boards with columns at the four corners, with weights placed on the moveable top board), moving up to dutch presses. There are plenty of examples of each on the forum - and how to make them.

Starter cultures can be nothing more than creme fraiche or cultured buttermilk for mesophilic cultures, or yoghurt for thermophilic cultures. It's best to use animal rennet. You'll have variable results from supermarket milk because its homogenised and pasteurised, but you can restore some semblance of real milk to it by adding Calc. Chlor. to the make. Goat Nutrition (online and in the UK has most of the basic cultures, rennets and equipment you'll need).

Later on you could move up to using PH meters. And get yourself some basic books; there are a range on the forum and most will also tell you what equipment you'll need.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:51:14 AM by fied »

Blue Monday

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
@fied - many thanks for all your help here, you seem to be quite the cheese expert - I will definately get to on making my cheese - what would you recommend starting off with? How long do you think the process will take given the different cheeses? what is it you are making at the moment?

Sorry for all the questions - many thanks.

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »
I'm not an expert, just make some cheeses for home use.

You could start off with some simple recipes like Queso Blanco and Fromage Blanc. I find the different cheddars relatively easy, but I've been making them for years. After that, the cheese world/experimentation is your oyster, blues, blooms, Swiss and Gouda types, washed-rind cheeses, etc. There are lots of recipes on the forum and other people may have other ideas for you.

How long does it take to learn the different processes? A lifetime! More realistically, if you repeat a cheese three or four times and get consistent results that you like, you'll have learned something about milk quality, ripening, renneting and aging processes. Experimenting with other cheese recipes will let you know the effects your cheese process and environmental factors will lead you to produce best.

I have a Cheddar, a semi-lactic Chaource-type and some Feta on the go at the moment.