Author Topic: The Smoking Gun-Cheese Smoker!  (Read 8297 times)

Brie

The Smoking Gun-Cheese Smoker!
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:20:20 AM »
Well, here you see my newest toy--It's called The Smoking Gun--apparently designed for restauranters to be able to smoke menu items at the table. It actually is quite fun, and am hoping I can smoke my cheeses as well. To begin, you insert wood chips in the enclave; then light. You then insert the hose into a plastic bag or closed container that holds the food item. Smoking for 3 minutes is recommended, which is the amount of time I smoked my Mozzarella. Nice smoke flavor. Still working with this new find to discern if it will work with my newly made Gouda--I'll keep you all in touch. It was $100.

susanky

Re: The Smoking Gun-Cheese Smoker!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 01:59:11 AM »
Wow!  Only 3 minutes.  Looks like a simple solution.  Let us know how it works out. I presume you could add different types of wood to change the flavor?
Susan

Brie

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 03:45:42 AM »
I guess the cool thing about smoking is that you can not only use wood, but also herbs--imagine using smoked paprika, black pepper, or garlic as a smoking ingredient? The ideas are limitless, as is my imagination--I'm stoked!

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:52:30 AM »
Congrats Brie. Great looking toy, that can be put to lots of uses.

I think rosemary is used quite a bit in smoking applications.

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
That looks sweet! But I don't think I have any more room in my kitchen for another gadget. My guest room is currently holding the overflow for cheese and beer equipment.

But I did find some very nice hickory smoked salt at my local spice shop that I'm going to try to incorporate into a "smoked" cheese by either direct salting or making a brine with it.

Brie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »
Be careful--make sure it doesn't have any iodine in it.

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:06:55 AM »
Yep, it's all natural. Sea salt smoked over wood chips.

jawdog

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 04:13:04 AM »
I wonder ... Would it work to pump the smoke into a covered cheesepot while cheddaring?

Brie

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »
Anything is worth a try. I did cut my "smoked gouda" and found that the rind had much more of a smoke taste than the interior. Love to test it in a real smoker to taste the difference.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »
Smoke it longer.

Tomer1

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 06:36:37 PM »
You can use natural smoke essence\liquid smoke in your brine which is basically condensed smokey water.
I saw alton john making it using an outdoor smoker,rather cool.