Author Topic: Sainte Maure Making - Good So Far?  (Read 1726 times)

Soozletew

Sainte Maure Making - Good So Far?
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
Hi, everyone, it's me again, the rabid newbie cheesemaker!

I've started some little St. Maure cheeses using my spiffy new 22 qt. electric turkey roaster (a very fine craigslist score).  Here are some pix:

The curds before sliding out layers for the molds;

The molds being filled, bit by bit;

The draining "station" inside my kitchen armoire.  I have a couple of dogs and an evil cat who would think nothing of licking (or even consuming!) the little cheeses, thus the protected ambiance for the draining process;

After 5 days the babies have a sweet covering of white mold and seem quite content in their little box. 

Am I on the right track here?

mtncheesemaker

Re: Sainte Maure Making - Good So Far?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »
Sounds like you're doing great!

Soozletew

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement!  As with most such endeavors, my enthusiasm often outpaces my knowledge, and I end up in a bit of a muddle.  Wise words from more experienced folk are always appreciated!

dadzcats

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
So, Soozletew,
How's that cheese coming along?  Did you taste it yet? 

I'm thinking of using my 22 qt. roaster as you did.  How did that work for you?  Mine only shows a base 150 degree setting (I need 90) but it goes on lower than that so I'm getting a baseline using water right now.

Did you find that it went low enough for your needs?  Mine is a Rival 22 qt.

Cheers! Deb

Soozletew

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
The cheeses came out really well---have been consumed by enthusiastic, thankful folks!  I'm finding that for 3-4 gallons of milk, the big turkey roaster works perfectly.  I have keeping a thermometer close by, as I'm relying on the roaster's heater to do the work.  Generally speaking, I just turn on/turn off to keep the temp in the range desired.

One big note:  for perfect curd cutting, I'm loving the large surface area of the roaster!