St. Maure Pic

Started by Brie, January 19, 2011, 02:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brie

I have been making Humboldt Fog for over a year and finally purchased the St. Maure molds--here you have it! The molds are very difficult to mold cheese in, as they stand at least a foot high (they kept toppling over!). Same recipe as Humboldt (without the layer of ash in the middle), same recipe as Camembert (with the ash surrounding). With such a small circumferance, the St. Maure ages much more quicly than the Cam and the Hummer.

mtncheesemaker

Nice! Where did you get the molds?
Pam

Brie

Bishop

Nice looking St Maure Brie!

how long did you age this one?

OudeKaas

looks fabulous! What are the required aging times, respectively, for the different versions you have made to date?

Brie

This pic was at 6 weeks--I actually liked it better at 4 weeks (with a little chalkiness in the middle. Humboldt is about 12 ounces and still aging--probably ready to eat, but I'm saving it for a party next week. I age them at 80% humidity at 52 degrees. I have moved the Humboldt to regular refer to inhibit further aging.

Oberhasli

That cheese looks absolutely delicious!!!!!  :) Do you make your own ash?  How do you ripen that cheese so the sides don't get flat? 

Bonnie

Brie

I don't make my own ash--I purchased it from cheesemaking.com. To eliminate "flat" sides, make certain that the cheese is well drained. I turned it daily and had no problem.