Author Topic: How fast for initial heating of milk?  (Read 2064 times)

tananaBrian

How fast for initial heating of milk?
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:41:28 AM »
I've read the intro sections in several books but can't recall, and I'm not spotting it in my quick skims tonight, so how about it?  When heating the milk the FIRST time, prior to adding any cultures, is it important to heat slowly?  I know the 2-degrees per minute for heating it to curd cooking temperatures, but what about the initial heating?  Can I heat quicker if I don't over-do it, e.g. milk pot over a double-boiler, go ahead and heat the double boiler water faster and keep stirring the milk?  Or do I ALWAYS heat gently... ?  (Yes, I'm a newbie... I'll probably have to say that a thousand times!)

Thanks,
Brian

linuxboy

Re: How fast for initial heating of milk?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:19 AM »
As fast as you can without scorching and without creating large temperature gradients.

Reason for slow curd cooking is to avoid case hardening, so that the curd releases moisture evenly.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
Rather than over a double boiler, if you can put your milk kettle inside a larger kettle so that it forms a water jacket for the milk.  That way the milk will warm more quickly, but you will have a good method of controlling the temperature and maintaining the temp throughout the make.

tananaBrian

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Thanks!  Maybe I'll put a trivet underneath the pot when using the pot in a pot (MrsKK's version) to isolate the milk from direct heat as well.

Brian

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »
That's a good idea if your outer pot has a smooth bottom.  Mine is a canning kettle and has a corrugated bottom, so the inner pot is never in direct contact with the heat.

darius

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »
WHY does it need rapid heating?

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
It doesn't "need" rapid heating, but there are no time/temp restrictions on the heating of the milk, as in later stages when recipes call for raising the temp by 2 degrees per 5 minutes, for instance. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »
You want to heat fairly rapidly and then add starter to outcompete any unwanted bacterial contaminants. If you heat slowly, undesirable bacteria start growing and have a better chance of getting a foothold.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:46:13 AM by Sailor Con Queso »

tananaBrian

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
You want to heat fairly rapidly and then add starter to outcompete any unwanted bacterial contaminants. If you heat slowly, undesirable bacterial start growing and have a better chance of getting a foothold.

...For aged cheeses, heat fast without scorching.  For fresh or "immediate consumption" cheeses, I can be a little bit lazy  ;D

Thanks for all the answers!  I learn more every day.  It amazes me what kind of experts we have here...

Brian