Author Topic: Hmm stuff.  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Hmm stuff.
« on: December 31, 2008, 01:30:08 AM »
Crap that's a lot of new stuff you added CH, I'm not going to read all those books and you can't make me.

Cheese Head

Re: Hmm stuff.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:49:03 AM »
Yep, most of those books in the library are from 1910 +/- 10 years, but there is a lot of info there on making different cheese types, I haven't read them either!

wharris

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »
What I find interesting is that while cheesemaking has been around for 8000 years, most of the science that makes it safe and repeatable is less than 100 years old

Captain Caprine

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
Wayne,
The reason for most of the science of cheese making only being about 100 years old is that so much of the practical science of microbiology came from the work that Pasteur did in the dairy and brewing industries in the 19th century which ultimately led to Robert Koch formulating his postulates for being able to identify the causative agents of disease.  So much of what we do is microbiologically based.  Cheese making is old but microbiology is a relatively new science and when you enter into that the time it takes for technology to get to the farm it is not surprising that for the majority of its history cheese making has been and remains more alchemy than science.
Sorry just an old scientist rambling on
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:46:07 AM »
CC, thanks for post, that's interesting.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 05:14:54 AM »
No Problem John,
Where is the literature list that Carter was referring to?
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
CC, in our Library where I posted a bunch of old non-copyrighted books that week.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 03:31:12 PM »
Cool,
I somehow missed the entire library