Author Topic: Review: French Exported To US President Brand Double Cream Brie  (Read 4261 times)

Cheese Head

Review: French Exported To US President Brand Double Cream Brie
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:44 AM »
Bought this 28.2 ounce/800 gram manufactured stabilized Brie from WalMart's wholesale store SamsClub here in Houston, Texas for ~USD9.

As Brie's have short ripening time the ones imported to USA are made with pasteurized cow's milk, and from this discussion are stabilized so that they are made ready aged and will not age further and thus will not become "a point".

Poor minimal flavour, very homogeneous product, would not buy again, (I need to start making these again).

Anyway pictures probably useful to anyone that has not seen Brie wheels before and how wrapped.

PS: Top of box was cardboard.

Chris_Abrahamson

Re: Review: French Exported To US President Brand Double Cream Brie
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:40:49 PM »
Our local grocery store had these on sale over New Year's.  I would agree with John's comments on overall flavour.  But if you bake them with raspberry jam and chopped walnuts and enough wine they were passable

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »
Chris, good point, our local mega grocery store has pre-made Camembert & Brie "Cakes" ready to go, just heat at home, some snaps here.

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:57:13 AM »
I can often find these for $2!! at the Grocery Outlet Bargain Market.  Not to advertise for them, but ours has a pretty decent cheese selection.   I can't afford to buy expensive cheese, so making it is the first best option, followed by going on the cheap. 
While it's not great Brie or Camembert, it is passable for cooking, or as suggested,  adding jam or eating with fruit.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:13:55 PM »
Must be for a small one, this wheel was about 10" / 30 cm diameter, I should have added a pen to the picture for scale. Old Member here made Brie & Leek Pizza which I also made with a store bought cam once, very good.

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
Nope, John, same size.  The next time I went, they had a different brand Brie weighing 2.2 pounds (1 kg) for $7.