Author Topic: I'm making Stilton right...oh Crap I'm making Blue  (Read 11127 times)

Likesspace

Re: I'm making Stilton right...oh Crap I'm making Blue
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 02:12:53 AM »
Cartier....
From my experience with Stilton, yours could not look any better. The curd is supposed to form into a loose mass which is full of cracks and fissures. After smoothing the surface you will still have an uneven surface UNDER the smooth texture and this will assist in the bluing under the rind.
I do have one question:
Did you have any surface blue when you took it out of the mold? Mine usually has at least a few areas where the blue is starting to grow (in some of the cracks). I don't know that this is necessary but it is something that I've seen on all three of my cheeses.
It looks as if your follower worked perfectly. it will make smoothing the cheese a little more difficult and I don't know that it will last throughout the wrinkling stage of the rind but in a cheddar or gouda......man, that will look beyond nice.
As I said, the cheese looks great. In a couple of months I'd just about bet that you are going to be tasting the best blue cheese you've ever eaten. Your waistline will hate you for making it. :-)
One more thing....
Before cracking this cheese go out and buy a box of Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil Triscuits. This is without a doubt the best blue cheese cracker I've ever tasted.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 04:55:05 AM »
Thanks Dave, I'll go buy some. I started to smooth out the rind with a spoon, but it started to pull some of the curds away as it got sticky. I'll try to do what you did with the knife. I would have done that in the first place, but I've got a head cold and didn't feel like it.

What happens if I don't smooth the rind? I knew earlier today, but I'm blanking now.

On the plus side I've been feverishly looking for a digital humidifier that can go to 90%. I can't find a single one, the one I bought for my cheese cave in 2001 must have been a fluke. I did find a used one of the same model and I'll buy probably but it. The plus side was I sprayed the walls of my new cheese cave with distilled water and it stayed at 89-93% for the past 4 or so hours. Even when the motor kicked on it still stayed at a good humidity. So I might not even have to use a humidifier in there. I think the key is there is a fan on the inside of the freezer but doesn't blow outwardly in the unit, it has a baffle on the inside covering it so it's not blowing on the cheese but the fan is evaporating the water in there every time it turns on.

Tea

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
Cartier that follower looks to have worked out beautifully.  Congratulations.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to make another stilton today, then maybe tomorrow a big parmesan, 10" and well see how it works with that.

Likesspace

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:34:44 PM »
Cartier,
I just saw your question in the above post....
If you don't smooth the surface the rind will not form properly. The blue will completely overtake the outer surface of the cheese by filling all of the cracks and fissures.
Even without smoothing you will still end up with a tasty cheese but it will be somewhat ugly due to heavy concentrations of blue in most areas.
Also, the blue taste can be overpowering in those areas.
Also, by smoothing the surface, air cannot enter the center of the cheese until you allow it to (by poking the surface).
This will allow the cheese to become much more creamy inside than would otherwise be possible.
That's the reason for waiting for 4 - 6 weeks before poking the holes....to let the cheese ripen inside, first.
Of course this is all just information that I've read. I'm still working on my first one with a smoothed surface. Within about another 4 - 5 weeks I'll be able to speak from actual experience.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
I'm making a silton right now...yahoooo! Dave, check out the regular discussion section I posted a link to a stilton cheese making video, you've probably seen it, though.

Oh, it's Carter not Cartier, that's just my Handle, got me pard? Get it CB talk.

Likesspace

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 03:37:40 AM »
10-4 good buddy....looks like we've got ourselves a convoy.
You know, people really must have been bored in the 70's to turn to a hobby that forced them to talk like that.  :)
Now don't expect me to just automatically switch over to your new (real) name. My fingers have this little muscle memory thing that forces me to type what's familair.
Good luck on the Stilton. It's becoming one of my favorite cheese to make.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
My fav is bellybutton cheese but that's another topic.LOL.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 06:20:11 AM »
Finally I'm getting some mold, what other hobby do you get to be glad when you get mold?

It's a mild beautiful coating. It had in on top but you can't see it 'cause I just flipped it.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 06:21:40 AM »
I'm getting excited. Now that I've verified I get mold I can now make the 15 gallon wheels. YES YES Everyone is invited over to my house for cheese. Actually if anyone in the area wants to they are more than welcome to come over and we'll have a cheese making day.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 05:50:36 AM »
Holy Moldy Batman! That Mold Grows Quick this is one day after the last pic. The Mold really is blue, real blue, it looks beautiful.

P.S. Last Pic meaning the post above not these two pics, they are on the same day I just flipped the cheese.

Tea

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »
Looking good Carter, looking good.

saycheese

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:12 PM »
That's one good lookin' cheese!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 11:46:06 PM »
It's even more covered today. That mold grows like mold! I can't believe how blue it is, it's so beautiful.

Cheese Head

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 01:16:42 AM »
Only beautiful to us cheese makers ;D, scary ugly to anyone else :o. My wife and kids wouldn't even try mine :-\.