Author Topic: Mozzarella - Too Soft & How To Salt  (Read 5881 times)

waterdalemama

Mozzarella - Too Soft & How To Salt
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
I have been lurking around here for a while, and have learned alot, but I have run into a problem with my mozz. that I haven't seen any answers for.

We have a cow and I use the milk raw. I am new at this.......have only been experimenting since Nov. but since we get about 40 gal./ week I have done LOTs of experimenting! I have tried several mozz. recipes (30 min. type and the kind without citric acid) and everytime it all looks like its turning out great.....nice clean curd break, stretches beautifully, etc. but then it never gets as hard as I think it should. And after its been in the fridge a few days its even softer than it started out......til it gets like velveeta or cheese whiz :o Very hard to shred cheese of that consistency!

I have been making asadero cheese also and this turns out better for me, but it still gets softer in the fridge.

One thing I have noticed is that when I salt it by using a cold water brine it gets much softer, so I don't do that. I usually stretch it in salted whey, and then put in ice water for a bit to cool. But I have a hard time getting it salty enough that way.

So I have 2 problems...how do I keep it from getting so soft and how do I get it salty enough?

Thanks for any help you might have for me!

linuxboy

Re: Mozzarella - Too Soft & How To Salt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:11:46 PM »
how do I keep it from getting so soft
You need to lower the moisture content of the cheese. This is done by cutting to smaller size curds, and/or by stirring longer before you drain the curds.
when I salt it by using a cold water brine it gets much softer
When you salt in water, you leach calcium from the cheese, which softens it.
I usually stretch it in salted whey, and then put in ice water for a bit to cool
And when you put in ice water, you take out both calcium and salt from the cheese.
how do I get it salty enough?
Two options. Dry salt, or put in a whey brine.

waterdalemama

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
Ok, that is very helpful! So I don't need to cool it by using ice water....I can just set it on a plate? And then would I rub salt on it at that point.....is that how dry salting works? Would a cold whey brine keep it from losing calcium?

I will definitely try cutting the curds smaller and with my asadero I hadn't been stirring at all after cutting the curd and letting it rest for 10 min.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Jessica_H

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:30 PM »
I just made a 30 minute motzerella because I had some milk to use up. I cooled it in ice water for about 5 min and then moved it to a salted half- whey half-water mixture to store in the fridge. I did half whey and water because I wasn't sure how the whey would keep, but it's been a week and I'm still thrilled with the results. In my opinion the ice water does a lot to help consistency throughout the ball.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
You do need to chill it quickly. Both to help prevent spoilage and stop further acid development.

Yes, a cold whey brine would work well. Dry salting is possible, but not really the best approach here.

But the largest issue for you is the curd moisture. If you cut smaller and stir, it will help to create a more firm cheese.

Oddly enough, many people struggle with having the curd be too dry for fresh mozz. :)