Author Topic: Swiss - Salting Curds vs Brine Bathing & Effect On Propionic Bacteria  (Read 2347 times)

judyp

Hello:  I am making traditional Swiss from Ricki Carroll's book. 

My question is: the recipe calls for a brine bath.  Is it better to use a brine bath when possible or can I just salt the curds and have the cheese turn out just as good?

I'm using farm fresh goat's milk.  I am new to making cheese, as this will only be my 4th cheese.  I've yet to be able to taste any of my cheeses because they are not finished aging. 

Thanks,
Judy

Cheese Head

Re: Swiss - Salting Curds vs Brine Bathing & Effect On Propionic Bacteria
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:12:35 AM »
I suppose that as long as you get the same amount of salt into the curds then the long term function of salt on the cheese is the same, see our Wiki: Salt's Function article.

But brining pressed cheese wheels initially dehydrates also the surface of the cheese resulting in a hard tough rind which is useful for helping to minimize surface mold growth, reduce moisture loss from within the cheese and if making big traditional (not hobby sized) wheels, for structural integrity. Thus I would go with the recipe and brine.

judyp

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »
Ok...I will brine.  Thanks for your reply!!  After reading your reply, I think Swiss is suppose to have a tougher/harder rind.  My understanding is that I don't need to heat my brine up, just soak the cheese and sprinkle some salt on the top side of the cheese that's out of the brine.  This will make 2 brined and 2 salted cheeses I've made.  Yum yum!!!  I can't wait to see how they turn out!! :D

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »
Welcome, correct, do not heat the brine, some info on brining temp is the Wiki: Brine Bathing Cheeses article.

Some people (me included) sprinkle exposed part with dry salt as does the commercial cheese maker in the last video here (see 3 minute mark). I remember professional member Francois saying he didn't sprinkle as can get excess and thus uneven salt and that he just turns more frequently, but most people I think sprinkle.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:55:44 AM »
Welcome, correct, do not heat the brine, some info on brining temp is the Wiki: Brine Bathing Cheeses article.

Some people (me included) sprinkle exposed part with dry salt as does the commercial cheese maker in the last video here (see 3 minute mark). I remember professional member Francois saying he didn't sprinkle as can get excess and thus uneven salt and that he just turns more frequently, but most people I think sprinkle.

John, any discussion of turning practices - e.g., how often?  (I will also search for Francois' discussion, unless you happen to have it handy).  Thanks.
- Paul

wharris

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »
There are more official guidlines, but I will add that I have turned mine twice daily, and i have also tried keeping my wheels forced under the surface....
I kinda liked it when i was able to keep them forced under the surface of the brine...

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:49 AM »
Wayne, very nice :o, and I just watched Detective Wallander on TV where a woman sunk and drowned the guy alive in the lake by using rocks!

Arnaud, good question, so I just updated the Wiki: Turning Cheeses article.

I'm with Wayne, every half day for reasonable sized wheels that you have to brine for 2-3 days, but if small 1 lb / 0.5 kg cheese which you only brine for a few house then I'd say every 1-2 hours.

I tried keeping a cheese fully submerged in brine once by weighing it down with a heavy china bowl, it worked but left an indent on the top of the cheese, records and pictures here. Now I just sprinkle with salt, picture here, not high tech but it works!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:47:10 AM »
Thanks gents, helpful. :)
- Paul

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:06:41 AM »
Propionic bacteria are very salt sensitive, so you want to follow the recipe pretty closely. Salting the curds on a Swiss would not be a good thing.

KosherBaker

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 05:36:22 AM »
Is it better to use a brine bath when possible or can I just salt the curds and have the cheese turn out just as good?
Hi Judy.

When you say salt the curds, do you mean before they are put into a mold and pressed? Or do you mean after they are pressed and formed into a cheese wheel?