Author Topic: Yep, trying the mozzarella...  (Read 1386 times)

cryan1980

Yep, trying the mozzarella...
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:41:52 PM »
Just started using the recipe on  frankhauser's site.  Let my Buttermilk sit etc, Just added the rennant and now the pot is resting.

Its been interesting reading all the posts before hand of disaster moz making and trying to keep in mind all the tips gathered so I don't have my hopes up But at the same time-- you have to start somewhere!   

Ill check back in after I check to see if I developed curd.

cryan1980

Re: Yep, trying the mozzarella...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:36:19 AM »
Ok... a few hours later and  I think I have a clean break like displayed on his page... 

cryan1980

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »
Fail...

So I made mush.  maybe I  didnt pay attention- I drained the whey to the level of the curd then left to acidify...

Looking at MrsKK recipe it seems that she completely removes curds and lets them drain while acidifying...

Without stirring, remove whey to level of curds (reserve whey in clean container). Add a gallon of cold water to rinse, then drain in cloth-lined colander, covering with a clean cloth or lid.

Allow to sit at room temperature (65 to 75 degrees) overnight to ripen the curd and bring it to proper stretching acidity. 

Milk was Local pasteurized whole milk. I have a lead on raw but may try this again later today using MrsKK... Just have to figure the proportions for 1 gal first.

cryan1980

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »
So I basically just made string cheese balls...

Changed gears did Frankhausers american mozzarella recipe. Rubbery and dense- reminds me of childhood school lunches! Tastes smells and  feels Like Polly-O string cheese,   I feel like I accomplished something....  It was interesting watching this mess of custardy slop start to come together. I didn't think I was going to get anywhere again but the it began to meld together and stretch a little... then a little more...

I'm leaving Mozzarella for now... not sure what to try next though... Suggestions?

DanW

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
Cheddar is a blast to do, really forgiving and pretty easy as a starter cheese.  You need more specialized equipment (temperature-controlled location for aging, something to press the cheese, and wax/vacuum seal/natural rind choice) but it's definately worth it.  You may also want to try a softer cheese like havarti, has the same requirements as the hard cheeses but shorter aging times so you can sample results sooner. 

Online pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
Don't give up.  I have had some spectacular failures for my Mozzarella.  I have had only four of my seven batches turn out.  I did turn the "bad" batches in to a kind of cheese spread (added 1% milk and chili flakes)

If you want to move on I find that Gouda is kind of a good one, like cheddar need some equipment, etc