Author Topic: Starting My First Camembert - need a quick answer  (Read 1556 times)

dadzcats

Starting My First Camembert - need a quick answer
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:31:41 AM »
All set to go with my first attempt tomorrow and was reviewing instructions in Rickki Carroll's book.  The recipe says to follow instructions on the packet for rehydrating the PC and to do so 10-15 hours before adding to milk.  There are no instructions on the packet- it simply says to add 1/16 tsp to the milk when adding the culture.

So - what do I do ???

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Starting My First Camembert - need a quick answer
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:52:41 AM »
Dadz, you can either inoculate directly into your batch milk, or rehydrate; if rehydrating, from the Dairy Connection site,

Suggested usage rate approximately 1/8 tsp added directly to the milk for 1-5 gallons. If spraying it on dilute at a rate of 1/8 tsp per 4-8 oz buffered water (8 oz water w/1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp sugar). If spraying on, allow 16 hrs reactivation in water at refrigeration temperatures before use.

http://www.dairyconnection.com/commerce/catalog.jsp?catId=4

Others may have a better answer derived from experience(as I'm new myself), but this is what I've read, anyway.
- Paul

dadzcats

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:20:16 AM »
OK - I think I've got it.  Rehydrating is key if I'm spraying it on but, since I'm adding right to the milk, it's not necessary.  With the PC I ordered the instructions are 1/16 tsp for 2 gals of milk - interesting.

Thanks, Arnaud - I appreciate the quick reply!  Now, I can go to bed with a clear mind :)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 04:24:23 AM »
I  know the feeling.  Good luck, dadz!
- Paul

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 01:08:07 PM »
Have fun dadz, with P. candidum just a little bit will do you, it replicates like mad (given right humidity and temp).

Dinerdish

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »
dadzcats,
I've made several batches of mold ripened cheese and I've always added PC to the milk with the culture. I have never sprayed it on afterward. Can any of you more experienced members explain any advantage to spraying it on later? I could see spraying to correct a problem or mistake in the make but why choose to spray instead of adding to milk?
Thanks for all the collective wisdom,

Dinerdish

dadzcats

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
Thanks, all!  I don't know what I would have done without this forum and all of the history of experiences here. I am grateful.  Right now, I am sitting here looking at my newly salted Cams and getting ready to post the pictures and details about the process so far.  Exciting!

I'm a new poster, too - can you tell me:  should I do that in another topic or modify & add to this one?  Which is best?