Author Topic: What can I do with my whey?  (Read 4189 times)

feadog

What can I do with my whey?
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »
Thanks to motochef's recipe (http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4871.msg38935.html#msg38935), my second attempt at whole-milk ricotta was a resounding success. My first attempt was using the p89 recipe from Ricki Carroll's "Home Cheesemaking" book, which yielded only a few ounces of (admittedly delicious) cheese from 2 gallons of milk. I suspect insufficient acid, even though I followed her directions to the letter.

In any case, I now have a lot of whey left and I'm wondering what I can do with it and how long it will keep in the fridge?

Thx

berrys66

Re: What can I do with my whey?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:47:48 AM »
I usually figure on getting around 200g of Ricotta from 1 (UK) gallon of the whey left over from cheese making, with no other added ingredients - ie. "traditional" Ricotta. You should have got in the region of 350g (around 12 oz)  from 2 US gallons.

I leave the whey to acidify over-night by which time its pH has dropped to about 4.6, and make the Ricotta the next day.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
Whey can be used in cooking, such as bread making, etc.  Some people drink it, but I've never cared to.

It is a great fertilizer for your plants, house or garden, but should be diluted by 1:4 with water.  If you have a septic system, do NOT pour it down the drain, as it is very hard on septic!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
There's a good thread here with lots of ideas.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »
Because of the acidity, whey is a great natural fungicide for grapes, roses, tomatoes,........

moodock

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »
Make some ricotta, then with the left overs make some whey bread, and feed the rest to your animals. Even after making ricotta, whey makes good animal feed.