Author Topic: Tomme turning pink  (Read 1734 times)

Helen

Tomme turning pink
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:48 AM »
Hello all,

I made a Tomme one month ago following the recipe on 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipe. I made it with 50% cream line pasteurized cow milk and 50% raw goat milk.

I washed the rind with a brine inoculated with Geo and B.Linens because I did not have the other recommended mold on hand.

Everything was going fine; the b.linens seemed to be growing nicely but as I turned the tomme one week ago, I noticed that the rind was becoming pink... and I am not talking about a slight tinge but of a "Barbie pink" stain as large as my fist.

I have been tried washing the rind with saturated brine but it does not seem that it has any effect. Now the other side of the tomme is turning pink and I am getting more confused by the minute.

Do you guys know what is going on, what may have caused this and how do I prevent this from spreading?

Thank you in advance for your invaluable advice!

Helen
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:24:57 AM by Helen »

gasblender

Re: Tomme turning pink
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:41 AM »
I think: this is normal development of B.l..

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
Do you have any photos? That might help for us to see what you're seeing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JMB

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS, your Geo and B.L. are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. Not always pink but often is--sometimes it is orange.  Very pretty. Just watch for the surface to not become sticky. That would mean you are developing "slip skin" which I think means the yeast part of your wash has taken over.  Check the forum for slip skin for more info.  Control is about air circulation, humidity and salt washing if it becomes a problem if I remember correctly--been a while since I played with one.