Author Topic: Make Sheet  (Read 7474 times)

Ohaus82

Make Sheet
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, this is my first time posting. Does anyone have an example of a make sheet they use? Im trying to design mine and want to make sure I dont miss anything. If this is already discussed somewhere else, can you share the link?

steampwr8

Re: Make Sheet
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
I developed one that I use. It is Word although I would like someone who is fluent in excel to convert it.

I fill the form in by hand as I go. You'll notice it has steps for several kinds of cheeses. I note the steps for a particular variety and leave the rest blank.

tananaBrian

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
Nice batch log!  The only thing that I didn't see was pH measurements... do you just write them in alongside temperatures or something?

Brian

steampwr8

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:09 PM »
I have evolved over the last year since I started making cheese.

One goes from time and touch as in Ricki Carroll's book then realizing that there is more to this artful science so as to be able to repeat successes.

I have made the last several batches using flocculation methods. This gives a better repeatability.

The next jump is to pH. I haven't yet sprung for a meter. Then we'll add it to the log.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 12:33:54 AM »
Ohaus82 welcome.

If you Search the forum on "Records Journal" you'll find a few threads with other examples, me I record my makes in this forum with snaps, in the appropriate cheese type board.

Ohaus82

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
Thanks everyone! This definitely helps. Im going to start researching pH meters this weekend as well :)

steampwr8

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Seems the most popular one used here by the veterans is the EXTEC PH110. Check out their site.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=40&prodid=431

Linuxboy, Sailor and other use this I believe.

Ohaus82

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 10:41:49 PM »
Yep, I think that might be the one for me. Seems userfriendly, will do what I need and is available on Amazon!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 11:01:02 PM »
Seems the most popular one used here by the veterans is the EXTEC PH110. Check out their site.

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=40&prodid=431

Linuxboy, Sailor and other use this I believe.

Don't quote me on this, but I know LB is a fan of ISFET technology, and I can see why, now that I've investigated it a bit (never knew it before LB's mentioning of it - way behind the curve, always used Hanna).  I've been keeping my eyes peeled on E-Bay.  Otherwise, for a value-for-dollar thing, it seems many support the Extech pH110, and this is definitely in my "watch list."
- Paul

OudeKaas

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:45:23 AM »
Interesting . . . I had not heard the term "make sheet" before - I had always used the term "cheese log" (heh) myself, and so it makes sense to me when people say "batch log" or "session notes", etc.

Does "make sheet" come from any particulary industry or craft? A casual googling doesn't yield much for this.

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 05:15:17 AM »
I call a session of cheesemaking a cheese make, and a make sheet, the all-in-one recipe/notes pages to use when making the cheese. Not sure why I call it that. I've heard other people call it the same thing, though.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »
I use a form that is specific to each cheese. That way I have the recipe for the cheese, along with space for notes and times.
In a grid on the left I have the recipe for the specific cheese in steps. Then in the middle there is a grid for notes, and, on the right, space to note times. I like having my recipe and the make sheet all on one piece of paper.
I have all of these on the computer and just print the one I need. Also, makes it easy to tweak the recipe if it needs it. Just easier for me than having a book or extra notes on the counter during the make.

linuxboy

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »
Don't quote me on this, but I know LB is a fan of ISFET technology, and I can see why, now that I've investigated it a bit (never knew it before LB's mentioning of it - way behind the curve, always used Hanna).  I've been keeping my eyes peeled on E-Bay.  Otherwise, for a value-for-dollar thing, it seems many support the Extech pH110, and this is definitely in my "watch list."

Yep, I use BNC ISFET probes on a lab meter, do not own an Extech.

Ohaus82

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 02:46:22 PM »
Hmmm, yeah, I guess I first heard the term in the WI cheesemakers licensing classes, but I heard it from a cheesemaker from NC. The instructor seemed to use the term too.
I guess if you have a 'make room' and a 'cheese make', a 'make sheet' makes sense!
Yes, I agree with linuxboy-- it refers to the whole recipe and notes doument for each make.

Mtncheesemaker(Pam)-- yes, that is definitely what I want long term. Right now, I am still in experimental stages, so maybe having seperate recipes and notes sections makes sense until I find recipes that I am really happy with.

I think the Deejayssmokepit one will work well for me until I get a few good recipes down that are worth repeating.
Thanks again everyone

tananaBrian

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
Interesting . . . I had not heard the term "make sheet" before - I had always used the term "cheese log" (heh) myself, and so it makes sense to me when people say "batch log" or "session notes", etc.

Does "make sheet" come from any particulary industry or craft? A casual googling doesn't yield much for this.

In other industries, it's called a "traveler", probably because in manufacturing and what not the 'log' of process steps traveled with the product ...although with computers, that's all gone away (like kids that don't know I want them to open the car window when I make a cranking motion in the air with my hand ...most have never even seen a hand-cranked car window).

Brian