Author Topic: saycheese's Ricotta Salata With Lavender Salt  (Read 6459 times)

saycheese

saycheese's Ricotta Salata With Lavender Salt
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:38:14 AM »
Just put a 1 lb. batch of Ricotta Salata in the cheese press for its 12 hour pressing.  We (my husband, Michael, and I) thought that it might be neat to try it with some lavender salt -- bought at Whole Foods.  We had had some chevre with lavender in it called Purple Haze that we used in salads and it was great, so wanted to try this out to see if we could get the same lavender taste in the ricotta salata.

Cheese Head

Re: saycheese's Ricotta Salata With Lavender Salt
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:54:47 AM »
For philistines like me, I had to check what Lavendar Salt is, is this it?

If so, looks like fun, thanks for the idea, pictures please if you get a couple minutes :).

saycheese

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
Yes, that is the idea except the salt I have doesn't have that pretty purple color-- mine, unfortunately, is white, but has the lavender flowers in it.  I will take a picture once it comes out of the press tomorrow.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:46:38 AM »
Wow, that sounds really interesting.

saycheese

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Here is a picture of the little cheese and the lavender salt I used.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
Thanks for the pictures and the idea, cheese looks great, now your next and most problematic stage . . . . aging!

saycheese

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »
I've made this type of cheese several times before and it has always come out(knock on wood)--it does crack a bit in the fridge at first, but seems to get better once wrapped in plastic wrap after 7 days of salting then into a baggie in the bottom compartment of the fridge.  We've really enjoyed it on green salads, looking forward to this one in an arugula salad with sliced pears, toasted pecans or pinenuts and maybe some cutup figs.  Just hope the lavender flowers don't make it get all moldy and weird.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 09:24:57 PM »
Well herbs, garlic, peppers, chili have all been used in cheese, so I see no reason that the lavender should go off, any more than any of these.

BTW that purple lavender salt is just gorgeous.  Would love to get my hands on some of that.

bundy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »
do you use a general ricotta recipe? what size hoops, what weight and for how long?
 made heaps of ricotta but never pressed it.
thanks
Bundy

saycheese

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 11:08:51 PM »
I use Ricki Carroll's Whole Milk Ricotta Recipe -- and her Ricotta Salata Recipe.  I press the cheese for the times she states in the Ricotta Salata Recipe but I use a 2lb weight for the first press and then a 5 lb weight after turning it over.

bundy

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »
thanks for the information
Bundy

Megan

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:17:02 AM »
Oohh! Sounds delicious!
Megan

saycheese

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 03:14:56 AM »
Thanks, Megan. We'll be trying the cheese in about a month, that way the salt tends to dissipate throughout the cheese and it's not as pronounced as when the cheese is new. Looking forward to it with anticipation.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »
Saycheese, how long can this cheese keep for, how long can you age it for?

saycheese

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
Well, the non-Lavender Ricotta Salata we are eating now is about 2 months old.  It seems to keep a long time.  Not sure exactly how long -- it never gets a fighting chance. I gave a one month old 1 lb. wheel to a friend.  She took it to a Christmas party and it was gone before the evening was over -- everybody asked what dairy it came from-- made me feel good when she told me that.