Author Topic: Cultured Butter Making - Using Cultured Buttermilk As Starter  (Read 3248 times)

Homestead

Cultured Butter Making - Using Cultured Buttermilk As Starter
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »
I've been reading about making cultured butter and wondered if I could use the buttermilk as a mesophilic starter.  If yes, would the amounts be the same in recipes?  Thanks

Jessica_H

Re: Cultured Butter Making - Using Cultured Buttermilk As Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:18:31 PM »
I'm sure I'll be corrected  ;) but what I understand is you can only use CULTURED buttermilk as a starter.  The buttermilk that comes from raw milk being turned into sweet cream butter is useless in cheese making.

However, you can culture the milk with a mesophillic starter, then make butter out of it (which gives a slightly different flavor and a higher yeild) and then use THAT buttermilk as a starter for cheese.

MrsKK

Re: Cultured Butter Making - Using Cultured Buttermilk As Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:39 PM »
I culture my cream for buttermaking with store-bought cultured buttermilk (1 cup buttermilk to a gallon of raw milk cream).  The butter has very good flavor, I get a much higher yield than with sweet cream, and have found the butter to be very spreadable at room temperature and have yet for it to go rancid, even after a week at room temp.  My sweet cream butter was hard to spread and tasted bad after 2-3 days.

I then save the buttermilk from my buttermaking and use it to culture future batches of cream and also use it as a mesophilic culture in cheesemaking.  I have used it for Colby, Havarti, cottage cheese, and blue cheese.  I haven't tried the blue yet (only six weeks old right now), but all the others have excellent flavor.

I use the same amount as for other mother cultures.