Author Topic: Holey Feta  (Read 1452 times)

ancksunamun

Holey Feta
« on: January 29, 2011, 08:41:39 PM »
The last two batches of Feta I have made have ended up with a whole heap of swiss like holes in them. The curds aren't spongey or horrid, in fact they taste great, they are just very holey.

My work area as always is absolutely clean and sanitised, my products are all in date and there are no contaminants in the milk. My Haloumi has worked out just fine.

The only thing I wondered was would my Ginger Beer Bug and Kefir Grains (which do have lids on but are only resting on) be throwing out enough natural bacterias and yeasts to cause this?

smilingcalico

Re: Holey Feta
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
I don't have a great answer for you, but it's possible.  I will say that I know a lady who's been making feta for decades, and hers always has holes.  It's great tasting too. I believe I read somewhere (but don't quote me on this), that feta SHOULD have many fine holes.

Cheese Head

Re: Holey Feta
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:42:59 PM »
Smiling has good point, my makes only have large whey filled gaps as I don't (so far) press mine.

Our Wiki: Body Defects, Mechanical Holes article may give you some ideas, does it smell yeasty or look like the picture there?

Did you press your Feta and maybe you got a sealed rind with trapped whey filled gaps?

A picture if you could upload would help.