Author Topic: should blue cheese be this color?  (Read 6247 times)

beerbutcher

should blue cheese be this color?
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:28:42 PM »
I followed the recipe from Fankhauser and used a piece of Stilton as the innoculum.  I was expecting the cheese to be more blue on the outside but was alarmed by the tan/orange colors in between the blue.  should i be worried?  the cheese is about 3 weeks old right now...

linuxboy

Re: should blue cheese be this color?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:35:28 AM »
Was it blue before, then turned color? Because stilton types will turn an orange color when aged.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »
It looks delicious either way.  Give it a few more weeks and cut it open. 

beerbutcher

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
it was very blue for sometime, and has since gone to this tan color.  last night i left the cheese out to breath for awhile and replaced it to the cave, this morning it's weeping a bit.. there's a little milky puddle in the bottom of the container and the skin of microbes has become loose as if there's a slick layer underneath it.  does that seem okay?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:57:24 PM »
Yeah, don't take it out like that.  Exposing a cheese with a  rind like that to elevated temperatures for any amount of time will give you some serious slip skin.  It's not the end of the world but the increased microbiological activity leads to some powerful odors and unpleasant flavours sometimes.

beerbutcher

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
a lot of what i've read says to let the cheese breathe for a half an hour, are you saying to not let it breathe or just keep it at cave temp while it's exposed?  should it be consumed now or should i keep aging it? thanks

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
Breathing is really for washed rind and white cheeses if you have a tiny cave.  The ammonia will build up and cause funky rinds. It's still important to maintain cool temps though.  If the cheese seems ok keep aging it.

beerbutcher

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:54:28 PM »
thanks for your feedback.  very useful forum for a novice.  i'll let you folks know how it comes out when i crack it open :)

beerbutcher

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:04 AM »
i  couldn't wait!!  my curiosity was killing me so i sliced it open tonight... delicious!  there was little bluing inside and the heart was fresh tasting and relatively unaffected but for the most part it was really satisfying.  had a nice stilton-like tang too.  it probably would have gotten much better, oh well.  the slipping skin issue made me worry it wasn't improving and then the skin started to crack and ooze in a few places.  the next will be much better i'm sure.

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »
I've got a blue that I made using Fankhauser's method, too.  I started it on December 15th and am faithfully waiting until February 15th to cut into it.  This is my first blue, so I'm getting kind of anxious.  Knowing that my family won't touch it is helping, though, as a 4-5 lb blue will go a long way for one person.

I'll have to look for friends to share it with if it turns out well.

zenith1

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »
Karen-just provide your address and we will all be there. I'll delegate the drinks and crackers as needed!

MrsKK

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:41:55 PM »
I cut into my blue today, wanting something zippy to eat with my salad for supper tonight.  The skin had started to slip - darn it! - but it has excellent flavor.  Not as much blue color as I expected, but that's okay.

I'm sure the slip skin is due to the ageing area getting warmer than it should be for this cheese.  Just more motivation for me to get my cheese cave built.

beerbutcher

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:20:12 AM »
Mrs. KK,
  proud of you for almost making to the finish line.. you showed a lot more restraint than I was able :)

MrsKK

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:39:50 AM »
To be honest, this cheese was kind of scary looking, which helped with my restraint.  Then I just had to go for it yesterday.  Good thing, too, because it probably wasn't going to get any better with the slip skin.

beerbutcher

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:24:30 AM »
i had pretty much the same thing going on with my blue, but it's very edible and even somewhat tasty.  I did some serious drooling from under the skin once i cut it open though..have you seen the link for the more traditional stilton method?  check it out..
http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71:stilton-approximation-howto&catid=38:bloomy-rind-and-blue&Itemid=58