Author Topic: Homemade 6" Plastic Mould  (Read 6065 times)

Scarlet Runner

Homemade 6" Plastic Mould
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
My last 2 gallon cheese was a little big for my 5" mould and had some bulging/cracking issues... so I've been looking around for a 6" mould, to make my 2-3 gallon (and maybe 4 gallon!) cheeses in. They are rather hard to find in that size!! The Tomme seemed a little big (7 1/2").  So I took a trip to The Container Store and found a nice round 6" Polystyrene (#6 PS; food grade) container with nearly vertical walls (only 1/4" difference in top and bottom circumference) for 12 bucks. A little pricey for a Tupperware, but not so bad for a cheese mould. 

I poked holes using 2 methods I've seen suggested on this forum: a hot nail on the bottom drain holes, and a drill on the sides.  The drill holes are way cleaner- but from what I read, the hot nail holes may end up being more sanitary.  I cut a follower out of a cheap cutting board with a Sawzall.

I think it came out pretty well- will test drive it on some cheese this weekend. 

BTW, Walmart sells a stainless steel ~6" utensil holder for $6.93, if you have the materials and skills to drill stainless...which I don't.... :(... and if you don't mind a bottom on your mould!

CheeseSnipe

Re: Homemade 6" Plastic Mould
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:02:56 AM »
So how did it work out? I looked at similar things but they seemed too brittle when put under excessive weight. I ended up just buying real molds which are pricey locally but I've found several other online sources that are more reasonable, but still an investment.

cut a follower out of a cheap cutting board with a Sawzall.
I think you just solved my problem! I need a whole pile of various sizes and thought about using cutting boards but since I don't have a table saw I wasn't sure how I could cut them. I may give this a try, right after I make this months insurance payment.

tananaBrian

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
So how did it work out? I looked at similar things but they seemed too brittle when put under excessive weight. I ended up just buying real molds which are pricey locally but I've found several other online sources that are more reasonable, but still an investment.

cut a follower out of a cheap cutting board with a Sawzall.

I think you just solved my problem! I need a whole pile of various sizes and thought about using cutting boards but since I don't have a table saw I wasn't sure how I could cut them. I may give this a try, right after I make this months insurance payment.

It's hard to cut a perfect circle with a Sawzall (takes some skill).  It's a little easier with a jig saw and maybe a band saw is easier than a jig saw (all take skill).  With the band saw, you can use a circle cutting jig if you make one and it lets you cut a disk with no hole in the center (like a hole saw requires).  You can also fashion a circle cutting jig for your router that does the same thing if you have a router table or a table saw with a built-in router table.  This is what I plan to do since I do not have a band saw and DO have a router table and router.

Brian

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:57:12 AM »
Brian

I was going to say my problem is that I don't have any shop tools but then you reminded me my dremel tool has a jigsaw attachment that I haven't used in years. I'll have to break it out and see what I can do.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
So the mold is working out great.  I have used it for up to 4 gallons- my most recent 4 gallon Jack yielded much more cheese than I expected and is rather tall- I'll post the weight when I weigh it but it's probably 4 pounds-ish.  I haven't tested the mold under intense weights; but I have pressed under 50 lbs so far with no problem (for Gouda).

For the follower, I managed fine with a Sawzall after clamping the cutting board ( a thin one from Target for around 3 bucks) to my picnic table with 2 C clamps to hold it steady, and slowly taking the blade around the circle.  I wasn't able to cut the circle all at once, but shaved off section by section.  I ended up sanding it down to final circumference later, with regular sandpaper on a sander and that worked fine too.  My latest modification was to take a Dremel tool and bore out a shallow circle inside the follower, which is how I center my pusher on top of the follower now.  That was a bit harder, but worth it.

I'll update as soon as I try this mold with heavier weights; never thought about it breaking!!  We shall see...

tananaBrian

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:31:12 AM »
That's cool that the cutting board material sands and machines well.  I think that's what I will use as well...

Brian