Author Topic: another sick sheep  (Read 2131 times)

arifainchtein

another sick sheep
« on: February 01, 2011, 08:22:21 PM »
Hello,
I have an East Fresian lamb that was born a month ago (the ewe was given to me already in lamb.  She was doing fine until about a few days where she started becoming very letargic. A couple of days ago I drenched her in case worms were the problem.  I know htat is probably not the case but I am at my wits end.  This morning she was shaking and to my ignorant eyes, she seemed to be constipated.  I have seen her try to feed of her mother and  while she does a bit, it never seems to be enough.  She also sneezes a lot and the episodes of sneezes can go on for almost a minute.  Finally, she seems to have little pimples along her snouth.  Her mother has been feeding on pasture as well as a daily supply of grain mixed in with 1 T of seaweed as well as dolomite. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

linuxboy

Re: another sick sheep
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
How are your selenium levels in the feed? Do you supplement? How was the lamb at birth?

Offline WhiteSageFarms

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
    • White Sage Farms
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:21:42 AM »
Here's a link to an article about "Soremouth" aka Contagious Ecthyma, Orf, Scabby Mouth in sheep. If this is what it is, be very careful as it is transmissible to humans. I just learned about this in my Animal Husbandry class the other day. http://www.tvsp.org/sore-mouth.html  Here's a link with info pertinent to Australia. www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/PW/AH/DIS/.../SCABBYMOUTH.PDF You can google around for more info, best to have a veterinarian look at it for diagnosis. There are other things it could be.

~Laurie
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:18:47 AM by WhiteSageFarms »
White Sage Farms
www.whitesagefarms.com

spalko

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
sorry for the late response... 130 lambs later I am coming up for air.
I hope this is not too late, but all my EF lambs get .5 cc's of BoSe within 24 hrs of birth.
We are just way to selenium deficient in most of the country.
Assuming the lamb is having no breathing problems, selenium is the most common problem in an otherwise healthy lamb.

Most common cause of death in lambs in general in the first week is hypothermia and malnutrition... most common problem in dairy lambs in pneumonia, especially those who barn their sheep up north.  Two doses of NuFlur for pneumonia will cure it in most cases if caught soon enough.  Use karo syrup on the gums during treatment... the sugar feeds/fights the abscesses that grow in the lungs when they have pneumonia.  You have to feed them to get enough digestible nutrition in the lamb to get it ahead of the game.

Hope that helps.