Author Topic: mini coulommier  (Read 2772 times)

Dinerdish

mini coulommier
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
Here is a picture of my crottin sized coulommier. It is 5 weeks old. Looking at the photo, I see it's a little droopy in the middle but still pretty nice texture. With this recipe I use a gallon of milk and get one camembert size and 4 or 5 crottins.  ;D

dinerdish

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: mini coulommier
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
Nice!

Flavor? Recipe? Good picture. Great job.

Your personal text proclaims "Batch-a-week cheesemaker". Is that accurate? If so, you must be up to the rafters in cheese.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Dinerdish

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:19:32 AM »
Thanks for the compliments Boofer! I do make a batch of cheese every week but I only use one gallon at a time and I make mold ripened cheese so there is a relatively fast turn around time. We eat a lot of it- too much probably. And everybody knows what I will bring to any potluck or dinner. ;)  The crottin size ripens quickly and makes a nice gift size and by keeping some in the cheese fridge and some in the regular fridge I can manage to have something ripe just about all the time.

My minimal recipe:
one gallon rew Jersey milk
a shy 1/8th tsp Choosit MM101 culture
a shy 1/8th tsp PC powder
6 drops rennet diluted in 1/4 cup water (the rennet is liquid animal rennet from New England Cheese Supply)

Heat milk to 90F

Add culture and PC, allow to dissolve for 2-4 minutes, stir well to incorporate.

Cover and let ripen for 20 min.

Add diluted rennet and stir gently to incorporate.

Try to observe flocculation and multiply by 6. Allow curd to set for ~60-90 min.

Maintain 90F temp throughout.

When curd has set, gently ladle thin slices of curd into Camembert or crottin molds. Thinner slices drain faster. Keep topping off the molds.

Let cheese drain, elevated above whey, in a box, ~6-9 hours, until cheese has shrunk by half and is firm enough to handle, then carefully flip.

Continue draining, at room temp for up to two days. Flip several more times. Keep a lid on the box to maintain temp and humidity and protect from contamination.

When draining is complete remove cheese from mold and salt with 1 tsp pickling salt (for crottin size use3/4 tsp). Do one side, allow to dry 10 min. then do other side.

Place on clean mat in clean storage box and ripen in cheese fridge at 52F. Leave lid of box ajar until no more whey accumulates in bottom. then keep lid closed.

Flip cheese every day. After PC has bloomed (~10-14 days) wrap in cheese paper and store in cheese fridge for faster ripening or regular fridge for slower.

I eat the crottin size from the cheese fridge in as early as 3 weeks, the cam size in the colder fridge has gone 8 weeks.

As far as talking about the taste.... Clearly I like mold ripened cheese since I make it every week but I feel like I don't really have the vocabulary to knowledgeably discuss it like wine enthusiasts do. But it tastes good! ;D

Dinerdish

Dinerdish

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:56:34 AM »
Oops!

In looking at the recipe above, I noticed that I wrote the same amount for the culture and the PC. No, no, no. I should have written 1/32 tsp of PC! I've been using the PC that I bought from New England Cheese Supply for some months now and I don't know what particular strain it is. I'll have to order more soon and I am both curious and nervous to try something different. It seems like what I have is fairly fast acting so any recommendations for a favorite flavor of PC?

Dinerdish

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:15:28 AM »
Well I made it with the recipe above this weekend. I'll wait and see how it turns out. What do you think the effect of extra PC would be?

Dinerdish

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
Uh, I don't know, really. Gosh, I'm sorry.  :-\
I do know that different packages recommend different amounts per gallon. The couple recipes I used to develop my recipe each called for twice that amount, 1/16 tsp, but I follow the amount on the packet of PC.

On the other hand I'm flattered that you used my recipe. :)

Please let me know how it goes.

Dinerdish

Brie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
Well I made it with the recipe above this weekend. I'll wait and see how it turns out. What do you think the effect of extra PC would be?
I would say that you would just have a great deal of white mold--don't worry about it.

Dinerdish

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
Hey CheeseSnipe,

How is the cheese going?
I did a little reading and it seems like the main consequence of too much PC might be an increased risk of slip skin so I would be alert to that and pat down or wrap your cheese quickly. I wish I had looked into this earlier but I hope that helps and that it's going OK.

Dinerdish

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 02:55:23 AM »
For sure! I might make cheeseskin boots out of them.  ;D
They pretty much popped right out of their skins. I sprayed them with PC to get another skin to grow and moved them to colder storage to slow them down. Will probably have to make again based on how it looks