Author Topic: Mozzarella, Starter Culture - Initial pH  (Read 2075 times)

brezzonico

Mozzarella, Starter Culture - Initial pH
« on: February 03, 2011, 03:09:26 AM »
I am trying to make traditional moz per Rikki Carrol's book.  The recipe calls for specific pH levels to begin- I think 6.8 (don't have the book here) but it says if that is not the pH just heat and wait.  Did that, waited 10 min, 30, went to Chucky Cheese, came home, still no visible change in pH- measuring by pH strip not a fancy device, but still no change.  Should I be adding something to change the pH?  Can't seem to find a lot of information on what affects the pH of milk when making cheese.  I understand that there is an acid/base relationship but feel like I should be adding vinegar or baking soda or doing something- waiting is not a strong point for me!!  Any advise is very welcome.  In-laws are coming in two weeks- Italian and I would love to WOW them.  Not sure if I am going to be able to pull it off. . .

linuxboy

Re: Mozzarella, Starter Culture - Initial pH
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:18:07 AM »
Should I be adding something to change the pH?
A stater that has lactic acid bacteria, such a yogurt, or a commercial starter suited for mozzarella.

Can't seem to find a lot of information on what affects the pH of milk when making cheese.
Where are you looking? The conversion of lactose to lactic acid by bacteria increases acidity (decreases pH)

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
LB is correct. The only way that you would see a pH drop using the method your following is if you were using fresh raw milk and the normal lactic bacteria present in the milk start to multiply producing lactic acid, raising the acidity, and lowering the pH. The only way to accomplish it with store bought milk is to add a started of some kind just as LB has stated.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »
Hi, brezzonico. Welcome to the forum.

Wow, 2 weeks! No pressure there. Mozzarella is a tough cheese to master, especially when you're under the gun. I would move to MrsKK's recipe. Much higher quality. Check it out: Two day Mozzarella.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

brezzonico

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:46:59 AM »
Thanks for all the tips, I am using raw milk.  I love the idea of making the cheese over two days- not many evenings I have the time to put into cheese except on the weekend. It takes too long to go through the whole process in one night after work while putting dinner on the table ;).  Will try your recipe this weekend. . . fingers crossed!!