Author Topic: Sailor's Beaufort Recipe!  (Read 5515 times)

Ohaus82

Sailor's Beaufort Recipe!
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:26:38 PM »
Im excited to give Sailor's Beaufort Recipe a try tonight (Ive only done Ricki Carroll recipes so far)! I hoping that my new pH meter will come today too so I can really up my cheesemaking.
Wish me luck!!

MrsKK

Re: Sailor's Beaufort Recipe!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »
Let us know how it goes!

Ohaus82

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
Will do! Thanks!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:25:04 AM »
Some people call Beaufort the "King Of Gruyeres" so don't forget to add a little Propionic shermanii.

Ohaus82

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 01:07:20 AM »
Definitely! The Alpine cheeses are my favorite, so the Shermanii gets used a lot here!
So, a mid-make update--
Did get my pH meter today (extech 110). Was super excited about it, but am having some definite troubles with it. Sounds like they could be similar to the troubles Boofer had. The readings seem to be about one level too high. My milk read at 7.5 and then went to 7 when warmed-- at rennetting, it was showing 6.9. I did calibrate 3 points as well.
The milk I have is raw cows, so I will test some pasturized grocery store milk to to make sure it is the meter, not my milk. The big frustration is that it seems like I could wait forever and the meter would just keep changing. Anyone know what all the flashing is about?? There was no info in the instructions.
Next I tried the floc method for the first time today. Because I used only 2 gals of milk, I used only 1/4 t of liquid calf rennet. I think that was a mistake, because it took me 25 mins to get to floc. Next time I will try more.

Ohaus82

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 01:52:27 AM »
Just cut the curd and it was very soft. Waited the full floc time, and then 15 additional minutes, but it was still really soft. This is my first time using calf rennet. Is that normal for calf rennet? or is it because I didnt use enough rennet?

Maybe I shouldnt have tried a new recipe, new pH meter and new rennet all in one night . . .

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 03:15:11 AM »
Ohaus,

You need to soak the probe in pH 4.0 solution overnight before you use it.

Ohaus82

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »
Okay, thanks! will definitely try that. the instructions only said ten minutes. . . . ???

Ohaus82

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:46:17 PM »
Oh and thanks for the excellent recipe! Everything pretty much worked out just as expected (except the renneting which was my own dumb fault).  It is in the press now and will go into the brine around noon. I think I will try this recipe again next week now that I have had some practice.
Thanks again!!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:43:19 PM »
Ohaus,

Isn't the probe kept stored with pH4.0 solution?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
Ohaus,

Isn't the probe kept stored with pH4.0 solution?

-Boofer-

Boofer, I was thrown by this as well - the instructions for the pH110 say to soak in pH 4 buffer for a mere 10 minutes before first use, then to store it in the same. 

I was thrown, because I've always used KCL as a storage solution.  I asked Pav about this, and he corroborated that KCL is the better solution.  I don't think short term there's much of an issue with either pH4 or pH7 buffer, but over the long run, KCL is indicated.  I don't like paying for labels, so am looking for a source for pure KCL (anyone?), to make up my own 3-4M solution (Pav uses 3.5M, will go with that).
- Paul

Ohaus82

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
Yes, my instructions said to soak the included sponge with the 4 buffer solution and store it that way. However I used it yesterday, same day I got it, and when I received it it was dry.

tananaBrian

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »
Definitely! The Alpine cheeses are my favorite, so the Shermanii gets used a lot here!
So, a mid-make update--
Did get my pH meter today (extech 110). Was super excited about it, but am having some definite troubles with it. Sounds like they could be similar to the troubles Boofer had. The readings seem to be about one level too high. My milk read at 7.5 and then went to 7 when warmed-- at rennetting, it was showing 6.9. I did calibrate 3 points as well.
The milk I have is raw cows, so I will test some pasturized grocery store milk to to make sure it is the meter, not my milk. The big frustration is that it seems like I could wait forever and the meter would just keep changing. Anyone know what all the flashing is about?? There was no info in the instructions.
Next I tried the floc method for the first time today. Because I used only 2 gals of milk, I used only 1/4 t of liquid calf rennet. I think that was a mistake, because it took me 25 mins to get to floc. Next time I will try more.

You can download the user's manual here:  http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=69&prodid=431
Or access it directly here:  http://www.extech.com/instruments/resources/manuals/PH110_UM.pdf

The manual says the readings will flash until stabilized.  Unfortunately, that statement is in the "Overview" not the actual step-by-step instructions ...easy to miss.

Brian

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
Some people call Beaufort the "King Of Gruyeres" so don't forget to add a little Propionic shermanii.

Sailor, the Beauforts I've had have had a smooth, hard paste, without eyes.  I presume the P. shermanii is used for flavor, and not eye development (breakdown products and enzymatic action?). 

Can you go into a bit on how one can do this - use P. shermanii, without holes?  Is it the hard press that helps to prevent eye development, or a lack of a warming regimen? 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:34:47 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
Temp and salt. Beauforts are higher in salt (1.2-1.5 IIRC), which makes the propionic not grow, and low temps (50s) do the same thing. But, the initial inoculation helps to add more flavor to the cheese - usually a note of characteristic sweetness. With the L helveticus in the starter, it makes for a lovely cheese.