Author Topic: Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller??  (Read 8745 times)

Jon in Bat Cave

Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller??
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:43:12 AM »
Hi Folks,  This is my first time in the Forum.   I just got a U-Line 6.0 cu ft All Fridge.  I am figuring what route to go with getting temp and humidity in order and found this pet reptile product. 

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-HygroTherm-Temperature-Controller/dp/B0019IHK9Q/ref=lh_ni_t_

For $75 it seems like the way to go.  I have a few other options for humidifiers that include some that would add air.

http://www.amazon.com/Imagine-Gold-Tropicaire-Humidifier-Exchanger/dp/B000634980/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1296797552&sr=1-2

Does anyone have any experience, strength or hope with this route?
Thanks You Kindly
Jon

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Hi, Jon. Welcome to the forum.

That seems like overkill for a 6cf fridge/cave and that doesn't include the humidifier which you would have to buy. I'd say buy a Johnson controller to keep your cave at a set temperature bracket and see whether you actually need that much humidity control down the road.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:37:07 AM »
I actually contacted ZooMed when thinking on options.  They felt their product wouldn't work for the intended purposes in cheesemaking,
- Paul

Jon in Bat Cave

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 01:29:57 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  You are right about my Overkill tendencies.  So far I have only made one batch of Mozzarella and now I am hooked on the goal of making Parmesan before my tomatoes come in this fall.  I got excited today and bought these items while at work before I got to this forum tonight.  The reason being is that  I spoke with both U-Line and Zoo Med and they both sold me on the idea.  U-Line was sure that my fridge would be well within the power limitations of the HygroTherm.  The kind woman at  Zoo Med has a sister who is a cheese maker and understands our obsession (especially since she benefits with homemade cheese every Christmas).  She thinks this should work for the size of the fridge and was proud of the accuracy of their HygroTherm.  All this came out to just under $100 with the humidifier and air pump.  So if this does work it may be a good alternative.  I will keep you guys posted.   

Jon in Bat Cave

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:14:16 PM »
Hi Folks.  Thought I would send this update since these reptile options are working great. The temp and the humidity never vary more than five or so degrees.  Also the air pump is a good option to keep fresh air circulating.  Definite overkill but fun for the perfectionist in me.  All this came out to around $110 for the humidity and temp controller and humidifier.  Now I have the long Parmesan wait ahead of me.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:41:42 AM »
Congrats, Jon, on your perseverance and success. Well done.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:07 AM »
I'm glad to hear it too, Jon.  When I contacted ZooMed, I wonder if the woman thought I was talking of a commercial operation, as it obviously works fine in your setup. 

Your cave looks fantastic, and I like your fresh air solution.  Will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Paul
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »
Thanks for posting your update.  I'm wondering if this would work for a full-sized refrigerator?  After looking at the cost of a Cool-Bot, I'm thinking that I might be better off just adding another fridge to the house with your tweaks to it.

Decisions, decisions.  I appreciate any input!

Jon in Bat Cave

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
Before I bought the Zoo Med controller,  I called the manufacturer of the fridge (Uline) and he assured me that I should not exceed the maximum watts of the Zoo Med controller with my little 6 Cu/Ft jobbie.  You are limited to a total of 1000 watts.  The air pump does not pull much power at all.  I would think the 1000 watt unit would be sufficient to run most refrigerators.  Below is the reply the fella I spoke with said about refrigerators and I liked how he did a CYA.  I did not have access to the inductive amp meter and assumed I was fine with this little fridge.  I bet this could work with a larger one than mine.  Let me know if you learn more
Thanks
Jon

Uline's Reply: "Like all refrigerators, there's a very short (just a second or two) of higher current then it falls off to normal operation. You should know that I can't recommend or approve any modification to our products like this, our units are Underwriter's Laboratory Approved and we can't approve anything other than the "as shipped" construction due to liability reasons. If you have access to an inductive amp meter, you could measure the full current draw on your system to verify the levels of current your designs will utilize."

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 03:16:55 AM »
Well, the larger fridge is a moot point now anyway as my husband wants me to buy a new, compact refrigerator, rather than take on someone else's troubles with used.  Thanks for your input!

Delislem

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 09:50:24 PM »
Hi Jon,

Your setup sounds like a very elegant solution. I wonder how you like it after six months. Any downsides?

Jon in Bat Cave

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:13:08 AM »
So far the humidity and temperature are perfectly consistent.  The drain pipe fills up at about a half gallon every four to six weeks.  I don't think I mentioned how a drain was needed for this set up.  It was easy to tap into the existing pipe leading to the evaporator tray.  If you go this route I can send some pictures of how to do the drain if you need em.   Another good thing is that it has not gotten moldy at all.  However I am not doing anything but Parmesan in it at this time.  The downside for me is the Parm recipe I used has created a flavorless Parm so far.  I will give this more cure time and then use it for paneer if it flops.  I also plan to try the parm recipe found here. 

Delislem

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
I've got one of those fridges that only have the tray with no drain. I was planning on installing a drain as I will leave the "cave" unattended a few days at a time at my weekend place in the country. It seems those kinds of fridge tend to overflow as the humidity condenses on the freezer compartment when the fridge is on and drip in the tray when it's off.

Jon in Bat Cave

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »
I lucked out finding this type with no freezer compartment through Craig's List.  If you can see in the photo that the cooling unit is a vertical one with a nice system on it for draining.  What I am finding is that all the condensation forms on the cooling unit.  Maybe the type with freezer compartment can have a pipe set into the tray.  Good Luck.

Delislem

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
Hey Jon,

Thanks for the pictures. Putting a drip line in the tray to the outside was exactly what I had in mind. I plan on doing this over the weekend while I'm waiting for the other parts to arrive.