Author Topic: Cheese made with cultured buttermilk for a starter--Question about aging time  (Read 2035 times)

medomak

Hello,

One month ago I made a cheese out of Ricki Carrol's book.  It was an "American" Cheese and called for cultured buttermilk as a starter.  I used Carrol's buttermilk culture to make the buttermilk, then made the cheese.

The recipe says nothing about aging.  I waxed and have aged it for one month. 

My question is whether this kind of cheese made with this kind of culture will age well?  And for how long?  Is this a quick age, like 1-2 months?  Or can it go longer?

I guess I'm assuming the culture you use for ripening is important for the aging process and since I'm not using a "mesophiliac" or "thermophiliac" starter, I'm wondering if anyone knows about the buttermilk culture is "suitable" for aging?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

linuxboy

You are using a mesophilic culture. That's what buttermilk is. It will age out like any normal cheese. Start taking samples for tasting at 45 days with a trier. If you don't have a trier, age for 60-90 days before cutting, then if you like it, eat it, if not, rewax and age some more.

One month is not long enough for any hard cheese. It will have weak taste