Author Topic: Recipes - Reasons For Using pH vs Time  (Read 1318 times)

medomak

Recipes - Reasons For Using pH vs Time
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
Hello,

I read here a lot about testing for ph levels.

This seems to be a more accurate way of making cheese, as opposed to following set times in a recipe.  Kind of like using flocculation time to get a set curd vs. following a given time in a recipe.

Is this an accurate way of thinking about measuring ph levels when cheese making?

And if so, can someone point me in the right direction of how I go about cheese making by measuring ph?  For instance, I don't see recipes in the books I use that ever refer to measuring ph.  Where can I find recipes that point to ph levels as goal posts?  And any recommendations on ph test kits for newbies?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

zenith1

Re: Recipes - Reasons For Using pH vs Time
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
Dave the whole point of using flocculation times and PH measurements is to be able to have consistant results of a quality nature, ones that will provide you with the product that you desire. There are lots of posts about both(really too numerous to mention) her on the forum. You will have to spend some time to ferret them out. I have attached a couple of charts that other members have been kind enough to contribute here.