Author Topic: Need Floculation target and multiplier for Mozzarella Recipe  (Read 4497 times)

Buck47

Need Floculation target and multiplier for Mozzarella Recipe
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
Would like to try this Mozzarella recipe. Not sure what to expect on curd set time.

Have been using a floc target and multiplier on my other cheeses - but have never seen any posted info on Mozzarella.

Would like help on target Floc time and multiplier.

Feel free to comment on any other aspect of this Recipe.

Thanks for your help. Regards: john

Warm the milk to 90°F - (4 gallon skimmed Raw Cow milk)

Add the citric acid.  - ( 6 1/4 ML) NOTE: not needed with Fresh Raw Cow Milk
Add the culture and lipase. (1.25 ML Thermophilic Culture DVI & 3.75 ML Lipase)
Stir well and let ripen, covered, for one hour. Hold Temp at 90°

After one hour add the rennet and stir briskly for 15 seconds. I then "stop" milk from moving with ladle. (single strength calf Rennet - 3.75 ML Liquid Rennet diluted in 1/2 C. cool water )

Target Flocculation - ?

Floc multiplier - ?

Cut the curds into 1/4" - 1/2" pieces.

Let the curds heal for 5 minutes.

Hold Temp at 90° - 91°,  for one hour - stirring occasionally during the first half hour.

Stir Curd once every 10 minutes of the first half hour of "cooking" for a total of three stirring sessions. After 30min let curd settle on the bottom of the pot where it will start to mat together.

Place a large colander lined with cheesecloth over a pot to catch the whey.

Drain off whey into pot - lift curds into cheese cloth lined colander to finish draining.

Tie up the ends of the cheesecloth and hang the curds to drain for a few hours (3-4).

After the curd has drained for about 4 hours, remove it from the cheesecloth and place it in a gallon ziplock bag and place the bag in the fridge and "work" it sometime the next day.

Hold Whey at room temp overnight to make Ricotta next day.

Save one one gallon liquid after making Ricotta mix in 1/4C canning salt -use this salted whey heated to 170F to work curd.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:06:08 PM by Buck47 »

dttorun

Re: Need Floculation target and multiplier for Mozzarella Recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »
Hi,
I was planning to make Mozzarella so I just received my citric acid but now I am confused. I thought citric acid would replace rennet. According to this recipe I still need to add both. Also, I thought it is necessary to stretch curds to make mozzarella but the recipe doesn't mention anything about stretching temperatures and conditions etc. Are you sure this is the right recipe?
Tan

Buck47

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
Hey Tan:

Thanks for the heads-Up on the Citric acid. I may not need the citric acid as I am using fresh Raw milk, most of the time it is recomended when using store bought milk.

All the recipes I have seen call for the use of some type rennet.

Also in this make the curd is "Worked" - heated & stretched the next day.

So I don't know how to answer your question.

And yes, I'm sure about the recipe: here is a link http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/mozzarella.htm

Regards: john
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:06:55 AM by Buck47 »

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
The thing I'm picking up on is that usually it is calcium chloride that is not needed with raw milk...which makes me suspect the recipe....

Buck47

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
Thanks Karen,

Well now I am confused.

She is not clear what kind of Cows milk she has used - just said not homogenized. Makes Moz from goats milk mostly I think.

Need to clarify the use of citric acid. She states in her recipe. "The easiest way to help develop the acidity in your Mozzarella curds is to add citric acid to the milk before the ripening process begins. The standard amount of citric acid to use tends to be 1 1/4 tsp. per gallon of milk. "

"Another way of developing the acid in the curd is to extend the ripening time. The best way to do this is after the curds have drained, to place them in the fridge over night"

Having experienced people look over a Recipe is a great help.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Buck47

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:41 AM »
Found a recipe of Pav's for Mozz -

His make on the Washington Cheese Guild, calls for a Floc point at "8-12 minutes.  Multiply this time by 3 to get the total time to wait from when you added rennet to the time to cut the curd."

I noted he does not use Citric acid in his make.

http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48

The more I study his recipe The more I'm inclinded to use it. Easy to get buttermilk & yogurt - have single strength calf renet & Lipase on hand.

I would think I could use raw milk/skimmed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:48:36 AM by Buck47 »

linuxboy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 01:52:56 AM »
Yep, that's about right, 3x multiplier. You do need to let the milk acidify some. If you're using DVI, you need to wait for that 6.5 pH before adding rennet.

You also don't need to use buttermilk, that's just to ensure good acidification. I wrote all the tricks in to get a good mozz in there. So many variations on it, though, so there are many right ways to make it. Study my recipe to try and understand the "why" of things, and then give it a try :)

If you're using raw milk, don't skim, use as is, don't add more cream.

Buck47

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 02:12:16 AM »
Yep, that's about right, 3x multiplier. You do need to let the milk acidify some. 

You also don't need to use buttermilk, that's just to ensure good acidification. I wrote all the tricks in to get a good mozz in there. So many variations on it, though, so there are many right ways to make it. Study my recipe to try and understand the "why" of things, and then give it a try :)

If you're using raw milk, don't skim, use as is, don't add more cream.

Thanks Pav: Yes I will study it in detail. Don't have a PH meter -- learning this on feel, touch and observation & enjoying every min of it.  ;D

Your directions are very clear and detailed, I'm optimistic.

Regards and thanks for your help.  John

Buck47

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:59 AM »
Mozzarella Make # 1 - Pav's Recipe - Washington Cheese Guildhttp://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Results: Overall Pav I felt this first make went well. As you can see from my log I need to tighten up the make. I went over on the temps in a few places.

The Floc time was FAST - 5min (not sure what to do about this next batch. Thinking of using 1/2 or (1/2 tsp) rennet next make.- Need advise on this point)
Worked the curd about 24  hours after make. Stretching went well, was able to draw out string full length of arms, folded over and repeated four or five times for each ball.

Let the weight of the string do most of the stretching, did notice when I pulled small 1/8 inch tears would appear along the strings. Tried to minimize that as much as possible.

Worked the string until glossy - rolled in a ball, plopped in 80F whey.

Was pleased with the taste, chew has a bit of a squeak, slices well, but tears when attempted to grate the cheese ball.

Have another 4 gallons fresh milk from tonight's milking ready to go in the morning.

Would welcome your comments and recommendations.

One last thing: it was a lot of fun. Thanks for your help. Regards: john

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/4 tsp Lipase, diluted in 1/4 cup distilled water (30 min before use)

13 once Fresh Buttermilk - store bought

6 once Plain  Yogurt mixed with 1 cup milk from vat.

1 tsp Single strength calf rennet mixed in 1/4 cup distilled chilled water

Fill vat with 4 gallons Whole Raw cow's milk - not skimmed

Heat to a temp of 90F

1:56 PM       Mix  Buttermilk - Yogurt together, add to milk, add Lipase - stir for 30 seconds (NOTE: temp drop to 88 F) - Add heat
                   Temp spiked to 91.5 F - Turn off heat: Let sit for 75 minutes to pre-acidify the milk.

3:11 PM       Add 1 tsp Single strength calf rennet mixed in 1/4 cup distilled chilled water - Top stir 20 seconds

Target Floc point is ( 8 -12 min ) or 3:20 PM to 3:24 PM

3:16 PM       Floc Point reached total  5 min X  3 = 15 min  Temp at 90.7F

3:31 PM       Cut the curd with a knife horizontally, vertically, and at a 45 degree angle into large, 2” pieces. Wait for 15 minutes to let the curd heal.

3:46 PM - 3:48 PM       Cut the curd again with a whisk into 1/2” pieces, about the size of a large pea or hazelnut.
                                   Let rest for additional 10 min.

3: 58 PM       Temp @ 90.5 F    Begin raising temp to 105 F -in the next 30 min. Stir curds at 10 min & 15 min intervals or as needed so as to
                     not have curds Matt. Cut large size curds as needed Hold at 104 F for 20 min. Total time 50 min from 3:58 PM to 4:48 PM.

4: 32 PM        Temp @ 101.3F Stir

4:37 PM         Temp @ 106.1 F
 Stir - Curds firm and hold together when pressed in hand. Note: Over shot temp. by 2.1 degrees

4:44 PM         Temp @ 104.6 F  Stir - half the curds forming in 2 to 3 inch clumps -- break up as needed

4:48 PM         Temp @ 104.5 F  Final stir -- break up clumps as needed - Let curd sit in whey 20 min.

5:08 PM          Whey test between 6.0 & 6.2 on pHydrion test strip. Continue to have curd submerged in whey

5:39 PM          pHydrion test strip shows 6.0 - Drain in cloth lined colander, hang bag with curd to drain - save whey for ricotta & working curd.

Feb 6,

1:45PM     Heated left over whey from ricotta to 170F - added salt, worked curds.

Notes:  16 1/4 quarts whey recovered.   Curd weight - 3 pounds 15 ounces ( after make - before working)  /   1 pound 4 ounce Ricotta 

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:18 AM »
That looks great. Next time, use just a little less rennet to try and get to an 8-12 min floc on the mozz. How's the moisture level? Is it tender, good water content? That's one of the hardest things to get right.

Buck47

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 02:43:34 AM »
Not tender. But good flavor.

Ya the moisture content seams good. I noticed when I sliced it to make pizza tonight the face that Icut was wet, not oil, but water.

Also it did leave more liquid on the pizza than I'm use too when using the store bought shredded Mozz. That being said, it is a bit chewy. Turns hard when pizza cools.

Can this recipe be adjusted to produce a high moisture Fresh mozzarella. The kind that's sliced and served with tomatoes, basil and olive oil ?

That's also my favorite pizza Mozz.

I didn't expect the stretching to be as much fun as it was. Didn't know when to stop, lot's of fun heating, letting it stretch out to arms length, folding, backing in the water and repeat.  Playing with food.  ;D

I'm very pleased with the results, first time making Mozz, I think it went well.

Will adjust the rennet and try again in the morning. 

Thanks Pav. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:14:42 PM by Buck47 »

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 03:03:47 AM »
That was the high moisture version.

You're not supposed to stretch and stretch and stretch - you lose fat and moisture that way. You're supposed to let it melt, orient the strands by stretching a few times, bring together, and form into balls.

If it's not tender, try using larger curds - say 3/4". You can also let it culture longer to let the acidity build up.

Buck47

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 03:10:56 AM »
That was the high moisture version.

You're not supposed to stretch and stretch and stretch - you lose fat and moisture that way. You're supposed to let it melt, orient the strands by stretching a few times, bring together, and form into balls.

Now you tell me !

I'm standing in front of a steaming kettle - humming the theme from the GodFather and stretching each mass of curd 6 to 7 times each.

You know I thought it was work hardening.

Thanks again Pav ... damn this is to much fun.

Buck47

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
Morning Pav:

This make went better.

Much better control over temp marks. 

Adjusted rennet from 1 tsp to 1/2 tsp hit  flocculation point at 9 min.

Used a whisk for the second curd cut. - didn't like the variance in sizes of curd. Thought it may have cost me additional whey loss.  Thinking next make to have first cut at 2 inches and second cut at 3/4 as you suggested. (try and increase the moisture content)

This curd ball has the feel of the Tommes I have made. Soft with firmish spring when pushed with a finger.

4 gallon make produced 4 pound 2 7/8 ounce cheese (after 6 hour drain)

This morning after making Ricotta - will spin 1/2 of this curd, use the other half as Fresh Mozzarella.

Do I need to store the Fresh Mozz in a brine? If so what strength of brine should I prepare?

Note: Used cut slices of curd in a Pizza this evening. Melts was excellent, Taste delicate, with a nice soft feel to the mouth. Has just the right string pull when I bit into a slice. Worlds apart from store purchased.

As to stretching the other half of the curd - well that's still a work in progress. A few bugs to be worked out.  :-\

But for now I'm very pleased with where I've come in just two batches of Mozz.

Thanks Pav

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:30:19 PM by Buck47 »

Buck47

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »
Make #2  is much improved from the last  batch.

Used the same recipe as before in make #1 Feb 6 (rennet amount changed to 1/2 tsp)

Changed curd cut size to 2 inches first cut  (rest for 15 min)

Second cut 1 inch (rest for 10 min)

When hooped whey tested between 6.0 & 6.2 on pHydrion test strip

Resulting in a 13 ounce increase in final curd weight.

4 gallon whole jersey raw milk produced five pounds fresh Mozz. Previous make #1 produced 4 pounds 2 7/8 ounces.

After draining curd 90 min - submerged curd ball in  one gallon whey from make and cooled to 34 F over night. Ph test showed 5.5

This morning check for spin. 5.2 ph using pHydrion strip.

Heated whey to 170F - cut curd into 3/8 x 3/8 size cubes. no problem stretching.

What I'm not pleased with is the stretched curd is grainy, and will not produce a smooth gloss finish.

Made a few balls and took photos of the results.

At this point I'm thinking the curd is not quite ready for spinning.

Would welcome comments - suggestions from members.

As always - Regards: john
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:38:13 PM by Buck47 »