Author Topic: Need Floculation target and multiplier for Mozzarella Recipe  (Read 4498 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Need Floculation target and multiplier for Mozzarella Recipe
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
Looks over acidified. That will produce a grainy texture with limited or no stretching.

Buck47

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »
Sailor:  Thanks for your comments. What has me confussed are my ph marks.

"After draining curd 90 min - submerged curd ball in  one gallon whey from make and cooled to 34 F over night.

Ph test showed 5.5

Next morning checked for spin.     5.2 ph using pHydrion strip.

Heated whey to 170F - cut curd into 3/8 x 3/8 size cubes. no problem stretching.

What I'm not pleased with is the stretched curd is grainy, and will not produce a smooth gloss finish."

I should have been able to hold curd overnight and spin the next morning. The ph was 5.5 when I refrigerated in whey.

from recipe "Drain the whey from the curds by pouring everything into the straining bag or cheesecloth over the colander. Let curds sit at room temperature for 3-8 hours. You can also put them in the refrigerator, and this takes longer, up to several days. This is useful if you're busy and have no time."

I realize pHydron papers are only a guide ...  But Pav's ph range for checking spin is between 5.3 & 5.0. http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48

By the numbers this should work.

I'm so close to having this work.  Not sure what I need to change or modify.

The good part is, I'm enjoying the journey. Confident I'm close to eating somefine Mozz.

Again, thanks for your observation.

Regards: john

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:47:28 PM by Buck47 »

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
John,

pH strips are just not accurate enough for serious cheese making. But looking at you photos, it looks over acidified and beyond the stretch range. Once the pH has dropped too much, there is nothing you can do about it.

If your pH was 5.5 when you put it in the frig, that was too low and it continued to acidify, though more slowly, overnight.

So, without a pH meter what I would do on day 2 is use your test strips until you get to 5.5-5.6. Be sure you are NOT any lower than that. Go ahead and check a small piece now and see if it will stretch. Then you will need to do "stretch tests" every half hour or so until you actually get to a workable pH. Just keep in mind that after it starts stretching you are at the TOP of the working pH range so let it go another half hour and then stretch.

Buck47

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 02:29:38 AM »
Sailor,

I believe your correct in your assessment.

When I bagged or hooped the curd I was showing between 6.0 & 6.2.

After 90 min draining I was showing 5.5 -- by morning 5.2.

With the inaccuracy in ph strips I've come to believe the curd was already past prime spin range the first time I tried it in the morning.

It's  possible the curd was ready shortly after the make.

Appears the refrigeration arrested or slowed the continuing acidification hence the ability to spin was achievable but not smoothness.

What I want to try next is the same make, but start early in the morning, and start testing for spin after 90 min of draining the curd ball. Then as you say "check a small piece now and see if it will stretch. Then you will need to do "stretch tests" every half hour or so until you actually get to a workable pH."
That way I'll have a baseline for this make, and can adjust from there.

Thanks for your help, much  appreciated.

Regards: john 

BTW: How long of a window does one have once the curd has become workable?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:11:57 AM by Buck47 »