Author Topic: Trying a Manchego today  (Read 5077 times)

Marta

Re: Trying a Manchego today
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »
I opened a cow's milk manchego this morning, my last raw milk cheese.  It's a little over 12 months old.  Anyway the recipe said "manchego" but I have no idea if that's what I created.  It's really tart and really "fragrant" (smelly).  I know I used too much starter.  However, it added lots of pizzazz to my omelet.  Now I need to buy a real one and compare.     :-\

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »
I tried my Manchego recently and I came away with the same impression...smelly and having some taste characteristics that are to the point of being inedible. Very strong taste. Using the REAL Manchego I tasted recently  (which was quite nice actually) as a benchmark, I have some studying to do and re-examination of technique and process if I wish to make another Manchego down the road.  :(

I didn't overdo the lipase, but something sure seems wrong. I made one before and it developed similar taste characteristics, but not to the degree that this latest one did. It isn't sour, moldy, too salty, or crumbly, but seems to have the texture that is appropriate for the cheese style. Sure seems like the lipase took over and overshadows the rest of the qualities of the cheese.   :'(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

medomak

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
Hello,

Following the thread here and wanted to ask a question.  I followed the same Manchego recipe listed here.  I've had a wheel sitting in the cave for about a month.  55 degrees, 85% RH.  I've not waxed it or oiled it and I'm planning on letting it sit for another two months.  Currently my plans are to let it sit and even encourage a little white mold to grow (I had to wipe off a little colony of blue mold that started, which hasn't returned). 

Crowdsource questions:

1)Good plan?
2)Should I be waxing it or oiling it?

I recognize I can do what I want here, but experienced guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
Boof, Keep in mind that real Manchego is made with sheep's milk and you will never replicate that with cow's milk. However, you can add extra cream to at least approach the butterfat content of the sheep's milk. This can make for a LOT creamier cheese. I find the texture and flavor of young Manchegos unacceptable, so I let them go for 6 months or more.

Marta

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »
Boofer: this is exactly the right texture... it shreds without crumbling and melts like a dream.  Just what I like.  But the aroma!  It still smelled cheesey in the house when I got home from work yesterday.  Unfortunately a year ago I wasn't keep such good records and I don't remember whether I added lipase.  I don't think I did.   

Medomak: I hope someone with more experience can answer your question but I'd be inclined to cut it in half and wax or oil one and try letting the other sit.  I cut mine and waxed both halves; ironically mold was never a problem with this make.     

There's a lot I'd do differently if I had it to do over.  It's too bad you have to wait a year to find out the consequences of your decisions and mistakes. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
But the aroma!  It still smelled cheesey in the house when I got home from work yesterday.  Unfortunately a year ago I wasn't keep such good records and I don't remember whether I added lipase.  I don't think I did.   
I'm not sure how close it would be to Manchego without the lipase or some goat milk added in. The smell (and accompanying taste) I'm referring to is very distinct. It's not really a "cheesy" smell so much as one of lipase.

Sailor, I made this (my second Manchego effort) in December 2009 so it does have some age to it.

I've not waxed it or oiled it and I'm planning on letting it sit for another two months.  Currently my plans are to let it sit and even encourage a little white mold to grow (I had to wipe off a little colony of blue mold that started, which hasn't returned). 
I would think you'd want to keep mold from growing on the rind. IMHO this is not a cheese with a complex rind like a Tomme or a Beaufort. Traditional Manchego rind has a basket texture from the mold.

Obviously after only two Manchego makes I am no expert. I offer what course I took for your consideration. I spent 5 months tending to the cheese in the cave, wiping with vinegar and salt where needed and picking creviced mold out with a toothpick (and applying vinegar&salt to that picked area). After that 5 months, I wiped with EVOO and then vacuum-sealed the wheel. At that time the rind was firm and dry and fairly resistant to mold incursions. I cut it and initially tasted in the 9th month. Within the past two weeks I have reopened one of the vacuum-sealed pieces and tasted the cheese again. In fact I just went down and cut a piece off to taste so I could more accurately describe it. It is slightly acidic and slightly crumbly. It does slice. As I recall, back when I first cut into it last September, I had left a piece of it after eating our meal. As we sat there, my wife apparently could not tolerate the odor coming from the cheese and she picked it up and took it out of the room. She does have a more sensitive nose than me.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Tomer1

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »
I had some local sheep's milk manchego today and I found it a bit disappointing,
Had a crumbelly texture,mild flavour and mild odor.
Im guessing they released it before full maturation?

On the other hand I also had some aged british chedder which was amazing,
Its was sharp and creamy yet firm, Had this bite which grabs your tong like a stilton minutes that spiciness of the blue mold.

medomak

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 03:09:56 AM »
Boofer:  your humble opinion was what I was looking for.  Thanks.