Author Topic: My first large cheese with the new pressing weights......stirred curd cheddar  (Read 3594 times)

Likesspace

This morning I started a stirred curd cheddar with 4 gallons of whole millk. This is my first attempt at doing this cheese in a larger mold and using the new pressing weights that have been discussed.
The cheese is now in the mold (7-1/2” Tomme mold) and it is really looking good.
I did the first 10 minute press at 50#. I then moved to the next 10 minute press at 105# and am now doing a two hour press at 140#.
The next step will be the final 24 hour press at 175#, flipping at the 12 hour mark.
So far I am very pleased with the result. The cheese has knitted together really nicely (at least on the top and bottom) and the sides are starting to come together. I chose the tomme mold because it is a bit smaller in diameter than my 8” hard cheese mold and therefore requires less pressing weight.
Also, I wanted to have a thick wheel with this cheese. I was afraid that if I used the 8” mold on such a small curd the wheel thickness would have suffered.
Tomorrow evening I will snap a pic of this cheese when it comes out of the mold. I’m really hoping that this turns out since this is a totally new process, at least to me.
Next up will be either a 7 gallon batch of stirred curd cheddar or a 6 gallon batch of Colby/Jack, on Saturday. I’m still up in the air at this point but either one will go into my 8” mold.
The reason that I’m going to a much larger size is because my middle daughter has expressed an interest in making cheese. She has done one Mozzarella and now wants to try a hard cheese. I figure I can take care of one pot (the 3 gallon colby or the 4 gallon stirred curd) and she can watch over the other (either a three gallon stirred curd or a three gallon Monterey Jack). Whatever we decide on it should be a lot of fun.
I’ll be sure to snap some pics of whatever cheese I decide to make. Honestly, I’m looking forward to it.

Dave

wharris

Can't wait to see pictures

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Yes pics good. Moving up in size to bigger batches requires room, equipment and forthought. I made a stilton this week and it takes work, it's not hard but you have to set the curds sit ouside of the vat in it's own whey for 90 in a colander, I figure it out, but while I was doing it, it was a mess, the kitchen floor needed cleaning anyway.

Likesspace

Cartier....look on the bright side. Mop and Glo has nothing on a good mopping with fresh Stilton whey. I'm sure your floor is shining. :-)
Okay, as promised here are a couple of pics of my cheddar just out of the press. I have to say that you guys were right on the money with your recommendations on higher pressing weight.
This cheese was made in a 7-1/2" Tomme mold (tapered) and came out about as perfectly as is possible. The only problem that I had was that it pressed a bit crookedly which sort of pisses me off.
Other than that, I am extremely happy. The cheese is flexible, yet firm and has a wonderful look and feel. As stated before, my photography skills suck but I'm also doing some reading on that subject so that I can hopefully improve.
Honestly, I do appreciate the information I've gotten from this site. Lots of good people here with lots of good ideas. I'm glad I'm a part of this group.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
Wow, good job. It looks from your picture that all your curds knitted together perfectly. That's very hard to do, you should be proud, what did you name it?

wharris

Looks great!

Likesspace

As you can see from the little bumps, I took Cartier's advice and pressedd without a cheese cloth. I honestly wonder if the slight marks from the cloth are any worse than the bumps that I get on the top and side without the cloth. Hmmmm.....
On my next batch I will probably try it with a cloth only with a modification: I'm picturing using two seperate pieces of cloth to try to minimize the markings.
Here's my idea:
Take a piece of cloth, slightly larger than the diameter of the wheel. Put this on the bottom.
Take another piece of the same size and put it on the top. By making the cloth slightly larger, I should be able to have cloth on the sides without having a lot of bunching. I'm picturing it like forming a cloth wrapped cheddar only using it in the molding stage.
I do like the nice smooth surface of a lined mold. Hopefully my idea will work.
By the way.....
Cartier, since you just made a Stilton, check out the pics I just posted of my last two (in the blue section). I have high hopes for these puppies and can't wait until the first one is ready.

Okay, nuf said.
Dave

Likesspace

Sheesh, before I got my second post typed I already had two replies! That's unreal.
As for what I named it.....well Cartier Wayne Cheddar, of course.  ;)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
Dave, I just take a razor blade and shave the little bumps off and it looks perfect.

wharris

Bumps=Character

:)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
Great Wayne, my girlfriend has a hellaofalot of character!

Likesspace

Okay, I figured it out......
Both Cartier and Wayne got a cheese for their great infomation on pressing weights.
I have no idea what a cheese does, but hopefully it will bring you great luck and great fortune.

saycheese

That cheese looks great!  Bet it will taste good too. Good job!

Neopaul

This is an awesome. I am very amazed with your work. I don't ever try to make a large one like this.

Tea

Good  morning Neopaul and welcome to the forum.  If you go to the home page you can introduce yourself there to everyone.

And yes I agree Likesspace produces some stunning cheeses.  We can only hope to aspire too.