Author Topic: Lancashire Cheese Making Recipe > Bandaging Discussion  (Read 7799 times)

smilingcalico

Lancashire Cheese Making Recipe > Bandaging Discussion
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:12:21 AM »
Looking for a recipe for Lancashire cheese.  Seems like the perfect cheese for those of us limited to 2 gallon batches. I know it calls for meso and thermo cultures,  but that's as much as I've been able to determine.  One producer speaks of Ph, but doesn't give details (naturally).  Anybody find any good recipe books in the public domain on Google books?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:10:42 PM by smilingcalico »

smilingcalico

Re: Lancashire Cheese Making Recipe > Bandaging Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:40:17 AM »
I found the book, Dairying: a book for all who are engaged in the production & management of milk By John Prince Sheldon, on Google Books.  It seems to have a pretty thourough description of the make, though a bit difficult to understand/vague at times.  I'll keep trying to find something more, though since I've got 6 gallons of milk at my disposal, I'll give something a shot.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »
Smiling, if you Search the forum on "Lancashire" you'll find a couple recipe threads and some videos and a tread on Floc Multiplier, but I couldn't see any pH markers.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
pH "markers" are generally a personal preference and not an absolute. What you need to focus on is how to alter your cheeses at various points during a make. TONS of info throughout the forum.

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:06:24 AM »
Thanks Guys,
  I did a search on the forum previously, but didn't quite find what I was looking for (I felt like Bono).  I'll try to look a little more diligently.  I went ahead and started making the cheese before I even found the book I referenced.  Unfortunately it looks like I cooked the curds too long, as the book says not to cook them at all.  Anyhow,  I'm still going forward, have my second 2 gallons going now.  In the end, if it doesn't turn out, no harm, no foul, the milk is FREE!!  If once I find the recipes and see they're significantly different from what I'm using, I'll post it.

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »
OK, so after I got to read up on the cheese in the book I referenced in this thread, the ebook will no longer open for me.  I'm asking Google to see about the fix, but in the meantime I'll report what I did and what I can remember.
  The recipes I saw on the site here were quite different from the recipe I found from 1909, so I decided to give the older one a try.
THE STORY
The book noted that the farmers sold so much of their milk that the wives never had enough to make a wheel of cheese, so the wives made curds on 3 succeeding days, then combined the curds on the third day to make one full wheel. 
THE MAKE
According to the book, after making the curds, you simply cut them, heal for a short time, then pitch the curds (in more simple terms let them sink to the bottom) and remove the whey.  Leave them in a pot covered with cloth, at room temperature, sitting in whatever whey they release, until ready to combine.  The second day gets the same treatment, and those curds get their own pot. Finally on the third day, make the curds in the same way, only this time, combine all three batches.  As you are milling the curd you'll release a lot of whey which you'll need to remove before salting.  After salting, press the curds.
WHAT I DID
2 gallons milk heated to 85°f.
Added 1/8 teaspoon of meso and 1/8 teaspoon of thermo cultures
Allowed milk to ripen at same temperature for 30 minutes.
I then added 1ml of double strength rennet diluted in water. Let sit for 30 minutes before cutting.
I cut in 1 inch cubes, though book said the horizontal cut was optional.
Allowed to heal for 5 minutes, followed by a 5 minute stir.
I then pitched the curds and drained the whey.
THE THIRD DAY
I did the standard make, then mixed the three batches together while milling by hand.  I added 1/2 teaspoon salt per pound, estimated curds to be 6 pounds.
Lined molds with cheese cloth, filled with curds, began light press of 5 pounds for 15 minutes. I was going to redress curds and flip, but found the first one to be a bit crumbly, so I said forget it and left the cloth on, merely flipping. 
Increased weight to 15 pounds for 15 minutes, then flipped and pressed at 30 pounds for an hour.  I flipped once more and pressed for 12 hours at 100 pounds.
I decided to skip redressing with dry cloth as the pressing really sealed the cloth on nicely, and it was relatively dry, so I melted butter and sealed the cloth bound cheeses with it. 
SIDE NOTES
I did cook the first nights curds because I didn't know better at the time.
The first curds are pretty rank and acidic by the third day, but the idea is that the third days curds really evens out the acidity of the first two days.  The cheese was traditionally bandage wrapped and sealed with butter, and I really wanted to see how well that works.   I think it went well overall.  The sour smell of the first days curd was gone by the end of pressing, and I hope the butter provides a touch of flavor.  Oh, the molds were two 7 inch tomme molds.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »
Thanks for posting this, calico, but I really can't imagine making cheese over a three day period right now.  Lancashire will have to wait.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »
Karen,

Contemporary Lancashire recipes are really fast and easy and do NOT take 3 days. I use the one from "200 Easy Cheese Recipes". Lancashire is really good even at 60 days, and one of my favorite cheddar styles.

Calico - did you really seal with butter right out of the press without draining and drying first ????????

smilingcalico

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:25:04 AM »
I know making 3 days in a row is a pain, but for me, it was worth it.  I wanted a bigger wheel from the same equipment that I have at home, which only allows me to do 2 gallons at a time. This traditional recipe was perfect for me.  Yes, sailor, I did.  My logic, which has been incorrect more than once, was as stated above, that though  the cloth was not perfectly dry, it was quite dry, and would likely pick up that much moisture after sealing if it was a new cloth. Also, from the pressing, it fit the cheese like a glove. The cheese had pressed for 12 hours at 100 pounds and was not expelling any more whey.  What issues do you foresee?  Oh, lastly, my milk is free, so to me, even if the cheese is hideous, I've learned something, and the whole experience is a positive.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »
This is NOT how you do "bandaged" cheeses. The cloth may have felt dry but it definitely was not.

smilingcalico

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »
I'm no expert on bandage wrapping, Sailor. This is my first time.  I read some posts on it and got a few different views on how to do it.  When I saw how it looked and felt I decided to go for it.  It may well prove to be a huge mistake. I'll be sure to post as time goes on.  I plan on ageing for 3 months, so unless things start going horribly wrong, I won't post much further here unless to document disaster (of course if it is successful, I'll post that too).  I'll look at the bandage posts again specifically for your input, as I know you give great advice.

MrsKK

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
Sailor, I did use the recipe from "200 Easy Cheese Recipes" but didn't get a good knit at all with the curd.  I was also puzzled by the recipe because on a thread I read on the forum it said that Lancashire is not cheddared, but the stacking of the curd in the recipe sure sounds like cheddaring to me.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »
Karen,

Lancashire is cheddared, but for a fraction of the time used for a true cheddar. With cheddar, part of the goal is to remove a lot of residual whey and build up acidity to a pH of around 5.4. This can take quite a while depending on the culture that you use. When the pH is right the slabs will have a texture like BBQ'd chicken. Then you mill and salt to stop acidification, hoop, and press.

Lancashire is an uncooked, moist curd cheese. You want to end up with a semi-hard, creamy cheese, so you only cheddar for a short time. I flip every 15 minutes for no more than an hour. Then you mill and salt. BUT, and here's the big difference, because of the shorter cheddaring time, the cheese does not build up the same acidity - say 5.9 to 6.0. As a result, the cheese will have a much softer texture than a cheddar. And because of the higher pH and moisture content, Lancashire ages much quicker. As I said, really good even at 60 days. Lancashire probably hits it's peak before 90 days, so I don't consider it a candidate for bandaging anyway.

After salting, I hoop and press instead of letting it stand overnight. I use light pressure (like a Gouda), and I get a fabulous curd knit. I don't feel that is cutting corners, because the salt has already stalled acid production anyway. I am VERY pleased with the results.

smilingcalico

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 04:58:21 AM »
For others following this post, Sailor is undoubtedly correct about the recipe from 200 cheeses being good at 60 days and peaking at 90. If you choose to follow the lengthy 3 day method, you may still choose to bandage it and age for 3 months.  This is the TRADITIONAL method. Ageing for 3 months will give you what is labeled as Creamy Lancashire.  Ageing for 6 months is labeled as Tasty Lancashire.

MrsKK

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
Thanks, Sailor, I think I will go with what you do and press it right away instead of sitting overnight before pressing.  That's probably why mine looks like barely knit cubes of Knox Blox!