Author Topic: First taste of Humboldt Fog  (Read 1951 times)

wharris

First taste of Humboldt Fog
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:29:45 AM »
I have got to start making soft cheeses.  I am typically a hard cheese kinda guy.
Gouda, Cheddar, Edam, Swiss and Italians...

But this winter i have had some Bries and today I tried a Humboldt Fog i bought from Cleveland's West Side Market.
Damn this was good.

Anyone know the relative difficulty of this cheese, relative to say Parmesan?

smilingcalico

Re: First taste of Humboldt Fog
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:28:25 AM »
Hey Wayne,  I'm surprised you're just getting around to trying this cheese!!  I still remember my first taste of it back in 1998!!
  Someone here on the forum has made their own version of it, search it and see what they say.  Essentially, it's a bloomy rind chevre with an ash layer.  It's also coated in ash.  The piece you got is pretty ripe.  It's sold while still chalky, then of course, it ripens from the outside in.  I've eaten it at all stages and have never been disappointed.  It really is a beautiful cheese.  Good luck if you decide to re-create it! 

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:17:27 AM »
Wayne, say it's not true, after all those massive pressed cheddars you are thinking of making an unpressed lactic acid cheese? Sounds great! There's a recipe thread here.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »
I'm kinda rebuilding my cheese shop a bit.  Will be building new stainless tables and presses.   running new power, and re-furbing the medival nature of my cheese dungeon.

Ultimately we are embarking on a home remodel, and the plan (as of now), is for a new, dedicated 10X20 workshop complete with waterproof walls, ceiling, floor with drain in it.

But as change up my situation in 2011, I will expand my work from cheddar and gouda, to a Camembert and perhaps others....

Myrrh

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
I make a version of this monthly. Compared to parm I imagine you will find it to be quite easy. I still haven't managed to get the pretty halo of softening along the rind, but the flavor is pretty similar and I am quite happy with it. Here is a thread with a picture. Good luck with your soft cheese adventures!
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4690.msg36907.html#msg36907

Brie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »
Wayne--I started making Humbolt Fog over a year ago, and have settled on using a recipe that is identical to St. Maure--it is really just another shape (and ages slower due to the size). I would say that these cheese are a bit more difficult than harder cheeses, as they demand much more attention to humidity and temperature during aging; yet, well worth the effort.
St. Maure/Humolt Fog
2 gallons Goat Milk (Not ultra-pasturized)
Heat milk to 75 degrees
Add 1/4 tsp. MA 4001 and 1/8 tsp. P. Candidum and dash of GEO 15 or 17
Work cultures into milk and then add:
1/8 tsp. Rennet (diluted in chlorine-free water)
Cover pot and let sit overnight or 12 hours until a firm curd forms.
Drain curds into muslin-lined colander for two hours. Ladle half of curds into 4 Camembert molds (use plastic mats under molds and set on top of storage box to catch the whey). Let curds drain for several hours and then sprinkle with a layer of ash. Pour remaining curds over ash. Let molds sit for two hours and then begin to flip molds every 4  hours to expell whey. You will need to continue this for 24 hours or until the cheese is half of their original height. Then mix:
2 Tablespoons ash with 2 teaspoons Cheese salt
Cover all surfaces of cheese with this mixture.
Let sit for 4 hours.
Age the cheese at 54 degrees and 80% humidy in storage box with drainage mats. White mold will appear in 7-10 days. Turn daily so that mold is even. Once fully bloomed, wrap and age for 3-4 weeks.