Author Topic: Manchego without Lipase  (Read 7036 times)

saycheese

Re: Manchego without Lipase
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »
Well, we tossed the manchego today.  Even after cutting off the rind, the musky smell had made its way into the cheese, so into the compost pile it went   :(  I looked in the cheese cave and found a little drain/drip pan/drawer under the small freezer that had MOLD on it :'(.  OK, that's it, the pan is now no longer in the cheese cave-- also took the door of the small inside freezer off so it is more open to air.  Washed everything down with hot soapy water.  Next is a treatment with StarSan.  I'm going to get that cheese cave clean. 

Also we are changing our cheese mats from the bamboo sushi rolling mats to plastic mats that can be sanitized in the dish washer, bought a sink mat for $5 that I can cut to fit in the tupperware containers.  I can't seem to get the bamboo mats clean even after boiling them for 20 minutes.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 04:14:50 AM »
Please let us know about the Lipase.

Just for your information, although you probably already know, Lipase should be stored in the freezer and you need to rehydate it 30 mintues before pitching at room temp.

ACK!  IT DOES???  Oh you're right, I just checked my little bottle.  It's not been opened, I just popped it in the freezer, we've had it about a week and it came from Ricki Carroll.  Is it still good?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »
Welcome, yeah I think it'll be all right or else they probably would have shipped it with an ice pack. You're probably good to go.

Cheese Head

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 12:51:54 PM »
LadyLiberty, as with my other cultures, I keep my Lipase in the freezer to maximize its life, but mine is a freeze-dried powder.

If your Lipase is in a bottle, it sounds like a liquid in which case as probably water based it would freeze which I think may not be that good for it and water based liquids expand when frozen and could crack the bottle if not strong or glass, like when I forget to take our beer or wine out of quick chill mode in the freezer >:(.

Just a little worried for your Lipase.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 11:07:20 PM »
True I didn't pick up on that, sorry if I mislead you, I don't know the answer either. Call the manfu. tomorrow.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 03:57:31 AM »
LadyLiberty, as with my other cultures, I keep my Lipase in the freezer to maximize its life, but mine is a freeze-dried powder.

If your Lipase is in a bottle, it sounds like a liquid in which case as probably water based it would freeze which I think may not be that good for it and water based liquids expand when frozen and could crack the bottle if not strong or glass, like when I forget to take our beer or wine out of quick chill mode in the freezer >:(.

Just a little worried for your Lipase.

I haven't looked at it since last night, I'll check it, it does say it needs to be kept in the freezer though, so I'm betting it's the powder.

Tea

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 06:22:58 AM »
My lipase is in powder form and it is kept in the freezer.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »
My lipase is in powder form and it is kept in the freezer.

Whew... so is mine.  Cheesehead got me panicked there for a second.  I looked though and it's still in tact!