Author Topic: Old-Timer  (Read 1297 times)

Illiterate

Old-Timer
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »
Hi There
I'm an old time cheese maker.....OOPs ! ! !

Please excuse my poor typing---I'm an old-timer who just started making cheese.
I've been at this a WHOLE week now, not counting the first try done under a total cloud of lack of understanding, I have now made 3 cheeses - actually there are 5 cheeses but I'm using very small molds so 1 gal whole milk makes 2 molds, the first one was just a 1/2 gal try after my first try turned out to be something like yogurt.
John was kind enough to take pitty on me and informed me I was making a rennet meso hard pressed cheese of undefined type, (and quality} he wasn't mean enough to say the last part.
After reading around here I decided I should have some definition, BUT being I died in the wool do everything myselfer, and not wanting to wait a week for some culture to arrive in the mail I blended 1/2 oz of cheddar from the store a clove of garlic and some milk and added that after draining and salting the curd. I started pressing this last night but as the press I built is a screw press as the moisture comes out you must adjust the pressure, not a problem, it just takes a little longer and needs a little more attention.
After all that we finally come to the question.
When I rewrapped it this morning and returned it to the press it was spongy, rubbery to the bite and didn't smell of garlic like it did last night.
Is this OK or NOT?
I do know this is NOT going to be cheddar I just wanted to see if this would work as a culture and add some other flavor with the garlic.

Thanks for creating this forum, it has already been a HUGE help

THIS HAS BEEN A TEST---YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR NORMAL LIVES