Author Topic: Induction cooker question  (Read 13367 times)

MrsKK

Induction cooker question
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:39:05 AM »
So the real reason I'm thinking that I can make it work to hold classes in my home (factory portion) is reading about Sailor's induction cookers that he uses for his classes.

My question is, how large of a cooker surface would I need for a 22 quart kettle?  The kettle is probably about 13 or 14 inches across.  Does the surface of the induction heater need to be the same or larger than the kettle?

TIA!

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Induction cooker question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:38:44 AM »
Yes, the "burner" needs to be close to the size of the stockpot but most of the cookers are big enough anyway. I am using induction cookers in my classes. I have 2 now and will be increasing that to 4. My classes are 8 people, so that will be 2 students at each station. I use a 22 gallon pot on a regular basis but I prefer a 2-1/2 gallon pot for each workstation.

The induction cooker is wonderful for heating water for washed curd cheeses. Be sure that your cooker goes up to 1800 watts. That's the most you can generate without going to 210 volts.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
Sowhat size are the induction cookers that you are using?  Do you mind sharing the brand & model, too?
TIA!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:09:16 AM »
NEW ADCRAFT 120v INDUCTION COOKER IND-E120V
Price:   US $179.99
Shipping:   FREE

Readily available on E-Bay.

There are cheaper units, but this is stainless and I really like this cooker.

KosherBaker

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:28:50 AM »
Congrats Karen, on deciding to give induction a try. I've been wanting to go induction for a while now, but I'm ready for the whole cooktop to be induction, however, that requires 240V. :) ANd I'm an apartment dweller at the moment. In the meantime I got my mom a Max Burton brand Induction single burner. Amazon seems to have them at a good price as I paid something in the low $60s for it and it does go up to 1800W.
She loves it.

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »
Whether I decide to host classes in my home or not, I have decided that I will get an induction cooker and do some rearranging in the factory portion of our home to set up an area for cheesemaking, canning, and maple syrup making.  I'll add a sink for washing up, too.

Thanks for the inspiration!

mhill

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:21 AM »
NEW ADCRAFT 120v INDUCTION COOKER IND-E120V
Price:   US $179.99
Shipping:   FREE

Readily available on E-Bay.

There are cheaper units, but this is stainless and I really like this cooker.

Sailor:

What is the approx. diameter of the cooker you mentioned? There weren't any dimensions in the ads for it and it is hard to estimate from the pictures. Thanks!!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:13:15 PM »
About 14-16" square

mikeradio

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
Hey Sailor

Could it hold the weight of a 10 gal pot 15" wide?

Thank you

Mike

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »
That's pushing it a little but I believe so. It's not just the weight, but the diameter and depends on the brand of the induction cooker. I would talk to the manufacturer first.

rattman

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Hey folks,

I have 5 - 2 pound hard cheeses under my belt and thinking of trying 4 gallon recipes.

Can I use the following canner for cheese making.... and more importantly will this metal work on an indiction cooker?
I'm thinking of getting the induction cooker that Sailor uses. Found em for $160 online.

Here is the canner: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Granite-Ware-21.5-Quart-Canner-With-Rack/10543332?findingMethod=rr

If not reccomended, then I'm going to return this canning pot and order stainless steel online.

Thanks all!!

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
I dont think its intended for cooking (direct food contact).  Enamel and most other traditional coating such as portezlan are no longer in use today.   

I would favor SS followed by alumium (you cant sanitize it with bleach (oxidizer), strong acid or base).

rattman

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
i found aluminum at Wal-Mart.... but I thought that Aluminum was not magnetic and would therefore not heat via induction??

Thanks Tomer... and Happy New Year!!!

John

Tomer1

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
I think your right, you will likely need to get SS for an induction setup.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 04:47:53 AM »
The enamel pot will work just fine, but long term, SS is a better choice.