Author Topic: And now for something completely different...My Esrom #2  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
And now for something completely different...My Esrom #2
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:02:03 AM »
After having used my Tomme-style mold for so long and become comfortable with it, using the stainless steel brick mold was a new experience. I also implemented the seed starter mat for the first time to keep my curd warm while pressing.

The seed starter mat worked very effectively, reaching a peak temperature of 94F with the kettle lid covering the cheese pot. I can now say that the mat was a little too effective and I should have cracked the lid slightly to keep it a little cooler. Excellent idea though. Kudos to Sailor for that one.

The brick mold is open-ended. After using muslin in the mold for the first several pressings, I removed the cloth and did the final press for 10 hours in the warmed pot. Using the muslin in the brick mold was a little difficult. The cloth wanted to snag on the edges of the mold. Then when I was trying to flip the naked cheese brick in the mold, it wanted to bend out of the mold. I sliced a little off one edge of the brick with the sharp edge of the mold. Very floppy. I measured pH5.10 coming out of the mold.

When I was unmolding the cheese, curd had squeezed out through the holes. I had placed a draining mat on the bottom of the pot and that became embedded in the bottom of the cheese brick, hence the exotic design in the one face of the brick. Yeesh! I don't know whether to shave it off or leave it alone. The follower, cut from a cutting board, was a little tight-fitting in the mold.

There are tiny bubbles in the curd. I'm not sure what to make of that. There are also open spaces, which is okay for this cheese style.

I followed, somewhat, the Esrom recipe from 200 Easy Cheeses.
Cultures used:
  • Aroma B   1/2tsp
  • SR3   1/16tsp
  • KL71   1/64tsp

I used 1/8tsp dry calf rennet and it floc'd in 8 minutes. That's pretty consistent with what the rennet has been doing for other makes as well.

I am determined to keep the rind low and more to the style with this make.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:14:54 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

zenith1

Re: And now for something completely different...My Esrom #2
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
Boofer looks good just like the rest of your work. I have not run across sr3 or kl71, obviously adjunct cultures, can you illuminate me on what they are?

Helen

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
Boofer,

I am amazed at the number of cheeses you have going.

This Esrom looks good to me. I look forward to future pictures.

- Helen

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
Boofer looks good just like the rest of your work. I have not run across sr3 or kl71, obviously adjunct cultures, can you illuminate me on what they are?
I'm sure linuxboy can more fully detail what they are. In short, SR3 is b. linens, the red bacteria rind treatment. KL71 is a yeast which helps to condition the rind environment. That's about all I know. I'm in a learning curve, you know.

Boofer,

I am amazed at the number of cheeses you have going.

This Esrom looks good to me. I look forward to future pictures.

- Helen
My strategy is very simple: make as many cheeses as I can to fill up the cave and then sit back with a broad smile. Well...no, not really. There are a few that I have made that I can't touch until next New Years. I have others that I've set a First Taste Date of Halloween or Labor Day. I mark that on my make sheet so I know I can't touch them until that date. It's a target.

There are a few that have stumped me as far as getting the technique down. As you can see by these photos, I screwed up again. Pressing too heavy (only 15 lbs, but too much with the heat) and too hot (I got enthralled with the effectiveness of the Seed Starter mat). A real noob move. Next time....

Yeah, I like pictures. Tells a better story than I can.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
Well, I pondered the alligator skin/fish scale side of this cheese for a day and decided the better future for this brick was to operate.

I scheduled an early morning plastic surgery and removed the offending skin. The chance for nasty infections in the future just got reduced.

I feel so much better.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
Very interesting skin you had there Booffer.  You are really kicking the ole cow lately. Good for you!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:56 AM »
Thanks, Debi. Bacon & sausage season, huh?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 06:05:18 PM »
Yeah lot of bacon this year - I have 16 bellies curing right now and salamis, pepperonis and coppas hanging in the "curing room." I have more requests than I can keep up with right now.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 02:35:01 AM »
Starting to get a few blemishes now. Looks like blue but I'm not doing any blue cheeses yet. Yes, I know they're everywhere...I just wish they'd stay in their own backyard.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »
Because of all of the tiny pits, holes, and craters I have been blessed with all manner of "volunteers" that have come to help me create the rind for this cheese. I have been washing with brine, occasionally with some vinegar. I have left a bit of moisture on the surface and sprinkled salt on to knock the volunteers back in their socks. I think I am gaining the upper hand.

This is decidedly different than the first Esrom effort. Learning once again.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:37:59 AM »
Three weeks later....

I believe I have just about conquered the strange things lurking in the pits. I will wrap this cheese in cheese paper this weekend for a little further affinage...perhaps two weeks. That will make it about 75 days.

I'm really curious about this cheese. I had a number of problems with its creation and I'm hoping I've got something special under the rind.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:51:20 AM »
How does it smell?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »
How does it smell?
It has a definite eau de fromage faintly reminiscent of a locker room. I believe wrapping it in the cheese paper will further develop that character. It's all I can do to NOT cut into it at this stage.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Brie

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 02:11:45 AM »
Looks great! I adore those crazy molds that develop--adds character and taste in the final run. Let us know about how this turns out!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:43:53 AM »
I judged that the time had come to set this cheese aside and let it have a little privacy. So into the big fridge it went on April 12th for a couple of weeks to develop further.

A week from this Tuesday I'll break into it and see how it's doing. Frankly, I don't know what to expect.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!