Author Topic: How does Polly-o do it  (Read 1744 times)

glasman

How does Polly-o do it
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »
i see many stores pulling polly-o curds on site. how does polly-o stabilize the curd so the PH stays within stretching range? for me a couple hours is all i have to work the curds before they get too acidic. vic

Sailor Con Queso

Re: How does Polly-o do it
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »
They are stabilized in a brine solution.

glasman

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:46 AM »
i take that to mean the curd is brined in a certain % saline to stop the acidity? can we also use this method to make our spinning timing more prdictable? ie: ripen to 5.3 then soak in 16%? brine and stretch when we want. vic

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:55:20 AM »
Some commercial Mozzarellas use oil in their storage brine. In Italy, according to law, Mozzarella di Bufla can only be sold immersed in its own whey.

With 30 Minute Mozzarella, there is too much calcium loss when the cheese is submerged in brine and it becomes slimy.

Buck47

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:59:57 AM »
Hey Victor,

Like you I'm interested in how Polly -o stabilizes there product for shipping and storage. I'm starting to have promising results with a recipe Pav has listed.

So far I'm making a fresh Mozz that I'm using on pizza. Still working out the bugs on stringing this same curd in hot water/whey.

I like the fresh Mozz for pizza and in the summer salad of  Basil, tomato, olive oil, salt- pepper.

I need to find a way of storage for the fresh curd. Right now I'm refrigerating in a zip lock bag.

Have been thinking of using the whey left over from making Ricotta as the base for the salt brine.

If it would be of help I will let you know what I find works the best.

Regards: john

PS: like you, the milk I'm using is from jerseys

glasman

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »
polly-o is able to ship their curds all over the place and yet still be able to spin at what seems any time :o! funny that no threds have any mention of stabilizing curds. i've refridgerated and froze them but that still makes my spinning a bit iffy. i've already wasted enough gallons of jersey milk by my mistakes at timing the spin. oh well...the learning curve can be long and expensive :-\ vic