Author Topic: how do you all drain large batches of cheese?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
how do you all drain large batches of cheese?
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
I am looking for a large colander. Any thoughts or how do you do it?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: how do you all drain large batches of cheese?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
I use a plastic laundry basket (with extra holes) and a large piece of shear curtain material to drain 35-38 gallon batches. Works like a charm. I find that the curtain material doesn't stick and absorb like cheesecloth and is much easier to clean. For cleanup, I submerse the laundry basket in an acid wash and then I sanitize with Star San prior to use. My inspector considers the basket "downstream" from the cheese, so food grade plastic is not required.

When I have something that needs to drain overnight (like Stilton) I use multiple food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets (drilled with lots of holes) lined with paint strainer bags.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:35:57 PM »
24 gallon batches.

I ladle out the whey using 2 gallon food grade buckets, pouring the whey through my strainer to catch any curd particulates.
Then I scoop the curd mass  into a large strainer, let it drain for a bit,  then off to the mould.

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
I like the laundry basket .

Wayne I get that all but the large stainer, what do you use for a large strainer for those 24 gallon batches?

wharris

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
I just use a simple sink strainer.  I fill it up about 5-6 times per make.
Not ideal, and its use is on the list of things to upgrade.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:01 PM »
FYI - My inspector automatically rejects ANY sort of colander or metal strainer. He feels there are too many nooks and crannies for things to hide, especially under the rim where the mesh is attached.

wharris

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
He would be right.

Smart guy.  Not his first rodeo......   lol

Offline steffb503

• Old Cheese
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
On this forum there is a video of a deli owner making Mozzarella. He is using a huge strainer. I actually have a huge bowl like his but would love to have the strainer.
Fresh Mozzarella at Tutto Italiano

FarmerJd

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
I do what Wayne does first, dipping out all the whey by hand with a gallon jug. Then I scoop the rest of the curd into a ice chest/igloo cooler with a board cut to fit across the middle to retain the curd on one end. I set the cooler at an angle and let the whey drain under the board and out the drain hole at the end of the cooler. I also cut the curd in this cooler and cheddar it there as well.

smilingcalico

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:53:02 AM »
FarmerJD's setup is similar to what we do at the dairy, but on a home scale.  We have a rectangular stainless steel box that we scoop the curds into.  We put a thick stainless steel "strainer" in to hold the curds away from the drain hole.  Quotations on strainer because it is really a thick piece of steel that has a few holes drilled in it.
JD, good to see you're still around.  Haven't seen any posts from you in a while.

FarmerJd

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 12:02:09 AM »
Thanks Calico. Life is full speed right now. I check the new posts daily but don't have time right now to really post much. I just post when I can add something. I recently acquired a big stainless steel draining basket that I was trying to figure out how to incorporate. I may post pics somewhere when I tackle it.